Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 
Sweetstrwbrry

Halfmoon tail deteriorating :(

I've had my half moon for about 3 months now and at first he looked absolutely beautiful! He was in a 1 gallon bowl and I tried to change the water at least 2 x a week 100%. Also used a lamp to heat the bowl and it was usually in the 76 degree range. There was also a live plant in there. I know, not ideal. I could tell he was depressed bc he barely moved in there.

Most recently (in the last week) I have upgraded him to a 10 gallon tank with a filter. I live in Florida and we are now approaching summer and the water is at a steady 78 degrees (I have a thermometer). His tank mates are 3 neons, 2 cory Cats, and a Japanese algae eater. I do not notice him picking on the other fish except a chase every now and then. I know for sure that the other fish never bother him. He appears very happy! He is always swimming and is very active (unlike the bowl). In general I do think he is a happy fish now. Except I feel like his fins are deteriorating :(. I wouldn't say they are bad looking but they are not as beautiful as before. They also now have a huge split in the back fin and it showed up out of nowhere one day. I also have a rock hide decoration which he LOVES to hide in... Other than that it is all live plants. What could be causing his fin deterioration? How can I get them to be as beautiful as they were before? The filter was strong with the current at first, I even muted that to help him out. Nothing seems to be working. I change 25% of the water weekly, is that not enough? As you can see from the pics there is a difference.... His head is also browner in the second one. What is going on here and how do I fix it?

Just got him:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...image-jpg.html

Now:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...image-jpg.html

You have to wait 14 secs for the pic to download then can click on the button to see it
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #2 
Sweetstrwbrry

As for food I feed him 2x a day and two different types of food. Betta pellets and a tropical medley betta flakes with brine shrimp.
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

sorry for your betta , i didn't see the pictures but i can tell too many fish and not really enough water changes. Not sure why i can't see the pictures it says my server has error .
I don't know i really think that bettas are more susceptible to the disease than other fish , you really need to do minimum 50% water changes with gravel vacuum and filter media rinsing in the old water with a water change. Some people do even more weekly water changes.
Check those links about water changes
g http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Also i didn't see your betta but if it really bad do you have hospital tank and aquarium salt.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

i just looking at the pictures right now.....
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

I don't have a clue why it would be deteriorating besides maybe the filter... He could be getting stuck like mine did, baffled or not. I now instead do 30-60% WC every 3-4 days... It's tough, but completely worth it. Perhaps that might help? Also, Neons need at least 5 to a group, Cories 5 as well and do you mean a Chinese Algae Eater? Because they will more than outgrow a 10g. And they can kill your fish by sucking their sides...
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

wow it a big difference. How long he is like that . Go buy unscented aquarium salt at the pet store. Get him hospital tank or you can keep him in the smaller container (you can use the one you bought him in) you definitely need to do aquarium salt and if he is not better i guess medications. I would really get his smaller tank, do salt treatment , no filter he needs less water movement.
You will need to pre mix 2tsp/gall make sure it dissolved. It better if you can pre mix it in one gall jug. Shake it well. Do daily 100% water changes. You can do it for a few days and you might need to switch to 3tsp/gall.
Make sure you acclimate betta to the new water temp/chemistry. You can use salt up to 14 days, but if in 3-5 days he will not get better or will get worse you will need med's. How long he is like that, haw fast his fins melting down?
Elsewhere i didn' see your response ... I think it looks more like fin rot
Old 04-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

I can't see the pics, just going by a description... I'll try again, hold on.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #8 
Jayloo

My HM boy I just spawned blew his fins. I'm sad cuz now he looks like a VT. :/
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

One of the pictures wouldn't load, and the other took me to an, ahem, adult site. Can you attach the files through your computer?

I can't really help without pictures, but you do have some major problems with your stocking. Cories and tetras are both social fish and need schools of 6 - having schools of 6 would stock a 20 gallon, so way too much for your little tank.
There's no such thing as a "Japanese" algae eater - it's either Siamese (too big for a ten gallon) or Chinese (even bigger, and very aggressive as they get older).

I would strongly suggest rehoming the algae eater pronto, and either the tetras or the cories.
DON'T start treating with salt whilst you have cories in the tank. They are not designed to tolerate salt in their water and it could cause them harm.

DO do more water changes - for now, at least 50% twice a week, if not three times.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

^ +1