Betta Fish Forum banner

floating betta... can anyone explain?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JMeenen 
#1 ·
My fishie has been floating at the top for 3 days now. He's alive and well though... besides his floating on his side at the top. He still responds well to me. And he did eat yesterday and today (he's always eaten a ton of food). He can swim around somewhat normally, but not for long. He can't go down for very long at all before it seems like he's pulled back up. I used to have a filter in the tank, but then thought that this new filter caused this strangeness cuz an old fish died with that filter. Also his one eye is drooping, the side that faces up most of the time..
Does anyone know what the cause of this? And if there's anything else I can do for my fishie? I had figured he would have died by now, but he's a fighter, or it's just not as serious as i think... I do love the little guy and would like to know if I can do anything...

#2 ·
A ton of food? You're not supposed to feed your fish a lot, it sounds like you've overfed him and he's got Swim Bladder Disorder. Is his stomach bloated? It's nothing horrible, but definitely not good.

Stop feeding your fish for a couple days until the food passes and he can regulate his swim bladder, he should be better within a week.

I'm a new betta owner, so someone else might have a better suggestion, I'm just mentioning what I've read from multiple sources.

#4 ·
I've had this fish for about seven months. I usually fed him twice a day, cuz that's what he likes. I had a previous fish for 2 and a half years and fed him the same way. He was perfectly happy and healthy. I feed this one the pellets, and usually he eats a few of those every time i feed him. I've figured it did have something to do with the swim bladder. But should i really stop feeding him? I can see that just killing him completely.. Besides he did not eat for a couple days anyways.. I had taken him home.. which is roughly a 2 and half hour drive, where he hardly ate. And got back on Friday.. then the next day he started acting funny.
I do think he has been passing.. maybe not enough before he eats again.? I'll have to check on him again when i get home. He's been responding well to me and everything, so that's good right? I'll do what I can do get him better though.

#6 ·
You drove 2.5 Hours with him ..was he in a small container? How was he packed? was he sloshing around..I only ask this because that could be the reason he is acting that way..I moved a Betta from Arizona to Pennsylvania, I had to do some serious stabilizing to reduce the sloshing motion..that could have caused the swim bladder upset in your fish..I would try feeding a pea as well..take a frozen pea, thaw in warm water, squish it out of it's shell,cut into tiny pieces ( as they can choke on large food pieces) and offer him a peice...possibly he could be constipated from a diet of pellet food.

#7 ·
He was in the same container I had originally got him in, but he usually does fine in car rides. I keep him up front with me and all. Not too much sloshing around or anything. I did try feeding him the pea last night, but he wanted none of that. I haven't fed him like i usually do, and this morning he was in a more normal position in between a fake plant and the side. When he moved elsewhere he slowly went back to the side floating position, but i think he's getting better. I'm hopeful that he'll get back to his normal healthy self soon. Thanks for advice though on how I can help my Kale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.