Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #1 
Lisa Ann

Exclamation life span???

Can anyone tell me the life span of a male betta that is well taken care of???
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

The average life span of a betta splenden is usually 2-3 years. Maybe up to 4.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #3 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
The average life span of a betta splenden is usually 2-3 years. Maybe up to 4.
That's the average!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

My oldest betta lived to 5, but most lived between 2-3. None of those were well taken care of though. Those guys are all from my childhood, and I did not know the best way to care for them. My current bettas (since I have learned proper care), are max just over 1 year (I got my oldest in Feb 2012). I did know a fish enthusiast when I was growing up who swore her betta was 9 when it passed away. But, I can't verify that.

ETA: The friends I know who have kept bettas have all been around the same 2-3 years as well. Although it seems to be closer to the 3 years than the 2.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #5 
Lisa Ann

the reason I'm asking...

I had a betta for about 3 months I did everything everyone on this site recommended and suggested to make sure that I was doing what I needed to do to make sure that my gorgeous fish was healthy.. even though I did everything I could, he died the day before yesterday... I've never had a fish bring tears to my eyes..I don't know what I did wrong..my sister in law, who is a betta owner herself of 2 gorgeous healthy bettas, she looked at him a few hours before he died and she promised he'd be fine that maybe he was a little cold but I keep his tank at 79 degrees constantly...he died regardless ..can anybody explain please!!!

Last edited by Lisa Ann; 04-08-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: i had him for about 3months
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

I am sorry for your loss how was your fish acting before he died? It sounds like you were a little concerned about him before he died.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #7 
Lisa Ann

Exclamation well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I am sorry for your loss how was your fish acting before he died? It sounds like you were a little concerned about him before he died.

Thank you, and yes I was concerned...about 2 weeks ago I noticed a slight color change starting at the upper part of his belly.. as a couple days went it neither got better nor worse..I seeked the help of a few on this site that said its nothing to worry about its probably just a color change. A couple more weeks went by and he seemed to be getting no better or worse and with no money to buy any medicine I bought some stuff from Wal-Mart(we have no real pet stores where I'm at) in the fish section it semed to work a little bit as far as perking him up goes..but then the day before yesterday I had to move so I put my fish(I had 4 fish at this point) back in their original store bought containers packed them up nicely in my husband's arms for a no longer that 7 min drive away I immediately put them back in their tank at our new house they live in a divided 30 gallon tank, my most prized betta INDIGO seemed to be fine at 3 pm but struggling to swim at 7 pm so I filled a separate tank with enough of his own water to where he could swim but also wouldn't have to struggle to get to the surface for air...I had my sister in law look at him around 7:30 pm and she said he was probably cold even though I always have my tank between 78 & 79 degrees constantly, she promised he'd be fine that there wasn't anything to worry about, she said as long as he stays warm he'd heal up in a couple days and be his perky beautiful self again..she was wrong he died about 40 mins after that... :( it was definitely a sad day and got even worse with my husband's bad attitude saying "it was just stupid fish" .... uh $$#&@ no!! My fish was my best friend happier to see me than even he was when I got home... Anyways sorry this is so long I'm just so confused
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #8 
Lisa Ann

Sorry it's so long....
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #9 
ZubinBetta

Hi Lisa Ann,
I'm sorry you lost your splendid Indigo. Sometimes there aren't good answers to why they die when they do, and sometimes even having medicines on hand is not enough--or even the wrong thing--to help them, though from this forum I have learned that it is a good idea to have aquarium salt and epsom salts on hand: The aquarium salt is a mild antibiotic that can aid in healing, and the epsom salts are for something else (time to do some forum searching!). You'll want to do some research on this site for proper dilutions. IAL, or Indian almond leaf, is also a good thing to have on hand, too: Evidently the leaves are soothing to bettas, and they also have antibiotic activity. I get my IAL at bettawan.com in Thailand; they are 50 leaves for $12 or 30 for (I think) $7. They take paypal.
I'm guessing that's Indigo in your avatar (even though he's not "indigo.") What a glorious betta! They are beautiful and loving creatures and it hurts like hell when they die. I had one live to be 3 years old, but 1.5-2years is more typical, and I've had many that lived at most a few months. You may find some solace by posting your story in the "Betta Memorials" subforum, because our sadness in losing our friends is worth sharing with others who are recently bereaved. My heart goes out to you in your loss.

Last edited by ZubinBetta; 04-09-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: chromatic sensitivity
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

Lisa wow that was insensitive for your husband to be like that. Unfortunately, most people don't get how interactive bettas can be and how they can be a highlight in our days. I don't know if we can figure out what happened but my first question is was Indigo blue? What color did he change to? What other changes did you notice about him?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote