Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 
Sarai

My Betta is a Horrible Bully!

Yesterday, I decided to get some fish. I have a 20 gallon tank with filter, heater, etc. There are two nice hides, a cave and a skull, as well as two plastic plants.

The tank is home to:
  • 1 Corey Catfish
  • 4 Neon Tetras
  • 2 Balloon Mollies
  • 1 Snail
  • 1 one-eyed Betta

All was fine yesterday when they were added. Everyone was relaxing after their stressful day, and there were no issues other than one albino sucker fish passing away.

Today, my Betta (aptly named Winky the one-eyed wonder fish) has been after EVERYBODY. He even eyed the snail! He's been charging all the other fish (along with his own reflection), and this worries me because one of the neon tetras seems to be pregnant, and another is always alone.

Is Winky just settling in, or will his bullying lead to the death of Ann Perkins (the lone tetra)?

I'm new to fish owning, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Sarai; 04-08-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Sarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #2 
tekkguy

Was the betta the first tank inhabitant before you added everyone else, or did you get him and the others all at once?

The cory will be happier if you get him a few buddies ... they love groups!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #3 
Stone

I have 2 bettas that just will not share their tank with anything one of them tries to kill the shrimp when it comes out of hiding, some bettas are just loners, I have several others that have corys and tetras for roomates and they do not mind at all, it's all about the individual fish
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #4 
Sarai

The Betta was added at the same time. He was actually added last, because I didn't want the other fish to scare him too badly as I added them, since he's only got one eye to witness that with :P
And I have already planned on getting more Corys. I found out on here that they like friends right before you said that! Would two be good?
And I have a 5 gallon tank to put Winky in, worst comes to worst :/ I just hope he warms to his tank mates.
Thank you for the replies!
Sarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 
tekkguy

I'd put at least 2 more cories, but really in a 20 gallon with the stocking you have, I'd go all the way to 5 more for 6 total if your cleaning is kept up.

The betta will either settle down, or you'll have to segregate him. Sounds like he's just working out his territory, and they'll likely settle in fine.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggressive, tetra