Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #1 
SunshineSulie

Exclamation Friends Fish Has Dropsy!

Hey! I was hoping someone could help me to understand what could help my friends fish deal with dropsy. She keeps him in a vase, despite my telling her otherwise, and is about 2ish years old. Please help me out. I don't have any other info to give.
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

IF the fish has dropsy (scales sticking out when you look down onto the fish) there isn't much that can be done. Dropsy is usually the end result of some other illness. Dosing with Epsom Salts (1 tsp per gallon, predissolved then added) may help the edema but usually once a fish has dropsy they are beyond saving, especially by someone who obviously doesn't care such as your friend. Its nice of you to at least try to get her to take better care of the Betta.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 
SunshineSulie

Alright. Sad to hear, but I believe you are right... :( Ah well, I won't stress the poor guy out more than he needs to be. Let him die in peace and not a buncha meds, right?

Makes me sad to think how many people are keeping bettas like that... Right in the same dorm as me... :( I bring them over to show them Sunshine and how she is doing in her 2.5 gallon (with filter,with live plants, with heater...), and she is sooo much brighter and more active, how can you possibly argue that they don't need that stuff!?

*sigh*
Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I know how you feel, I think we all probably do. It is very unfortunate that people don't care more about the living beings they choose to bring into their home (or dorm). Hopefully, she won't get another Betta & do the same. I would suspect her fish has been ill for a while. The epsom salt may make him more comfortable but its up to you if you want to do it. Good luck.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #5 
SunshineSulie

Thanks. I hope the poor guy goes in peace. I am sooo glad I take care of Sunshine like I do. She is seriously like a child to me, which sounds silly. Lol ol. But it is true, she gets the best I can afford and the best I can find.

I am just glad I found a community on this forum that doesn't think I am insane. Lol ol