Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #11 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
May I ask which Petco it was? (Was it the one in Poughkeepsie?)
Yes it was poughkeepsie... They're never been great but lately that have gotten absolutely disgusting!

Here's a quick video I shot when I was there today
http://youtu.be/osN4o-wK7b4
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #12 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
The poor last guy! That is horrible!
Believe it or not that tailless halfmoon is the healthiest and most active of the 3, currently he's the one Im the least concerned about. Im very worried that the other 2 won't make it
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #13 
Alcemistnv

I was actually just at that Petco on Friday! D:

And I didn't see any of those boys there!

I know there wee 2 dead ones when I went, but I didn't see those guys :(
I feel bad because I would've snatched the tailess one in a second!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #14 
DamanDhillon

You are an angel of a person for rescueing them!! thank you thank you thank you.

My LPS takes HORRIBLE care of their bettas.. just yesturday I witnessed one betta suffering from dropsy, he was unable to swim properly and was floating upside down and darting. I told the fish guy to take him out to end his suffering. ALL the other bettas have external parasites, ammonia poisoning, tail bites, and ick.

My sister and I rescued two this past week but aren't able to rescue anymore due to dorm regulations :(

One just has to imagine the heartlessness of these fish store workers that let them suffer so brutally!!
DamanDhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #15 
xShainax

That video p*sses me off. How DARE they treat the betta's like that
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #16 
percyfyshshelley

Bless you for saving these three. Just horrible how most pet stores treat bettas.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #17 
logisticsguy

Yikes! Good for you Moonshadow. It kills me when I go into a store and see this kind of thing. The worst part is when you bring it to their attention and the employees still dont care, and look at you like your a nut when you try to teach them about betta care. Its like they cant believe a customer could possibly know anything. Good luck.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #18 
motherpeters

Oh those poor boys!

It's awful that pet stores can keep these fish in such deplorable conditions. Those ammonia readings are disgusting. How hard is it to just change the water?!
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #19 
veggiegirl

It was these poor bettas lucky day when you walked into the store! Those ammonia readings were disgusting!! I see this sort of thing all of the time here in Australia. The largest LFS here constantly has dead bettas in their tanks and the water is usually so dirty that you literally cannot tell what colour the betta is or whether it is even still alive.

I have tried on countless occasions to politely suggest that they really do need to clean their betta tanks more often, or bring it to their attention that they have sick fish and "this is what is wrong with them" "this is what caused it" and "this is how to treat it" they just treat me like I'm stupid and don't know anything.

Our smaller LFS's on the other hand even ask for my advice when they get sick fish. One had an outbreak of velvet with around 50 fancy bettas affected. She was quite upset that her poor fish were sick and came rushing over the minute I walked through the door to ask for my opinion on them. Two weeks later and all except one recovered fully. One of the LFS even gave me a job! It is important to remember that some LFS do care, not in all cases but I usually find that it is the large chain stores that are the culprits.

Surely stores such as Petco will have to realise at some point that keeping their bettas healthy by providing the simple care that they need is not only morally rewarding but financially too!!!!!!!!! Seriously do not know what it is going to take for the light bulb to light up though
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #20 
Demysta

Thank you so much for taking in all three of those boys! They're in such bad condition my god. :( I too had a rescue at a big chain store, and his ammonia reading came up PAST 6.1!! I was downright disgusted! He was the only one in the store that looked like he would recover, but seriously, I'm so angry at these chain stores for doing this to these animals. All they see them as is dollar signs, and its just horrible to think that they won't even put it in the time to do water changes and save lives. I really hope each of your boys recovers quickly!
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote