Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 
Splendens17

Lighting

I picked up a 5.5 gal, heater, a gorgeous male betta, and I used my old filter. But it didnt come with the hood and lighting and I can't find any hood or light for this tank. Any ideas of what I could use? And my heater exploded in my tank! Glass everywhere! I also can't just drive up to a petstore because of my age ( to young to drive) thanks!

Still can't get a picture of him, his tank isn't bright enough
Splendens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 
Splendens17

Ill try to upload a picture but with an iPod so it will be blurry :0

Forget it! They come out to blurry

Last edited by Splendens17; 04-08-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Splendens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

This is a very common problem (also hoods are crazy expensive, like, more than the tanks... What's up with *that*?), but there is a very, very easy solution.

The easiest way to do it is just to have some plexiglass/acrylic cut to fit the top of your tank. Then add a clip-on lamp to the back, and you're good to go.
Most hardware stores sell acrylic/plexi, and some will cut it for you. If they won't cut it, it's not hard, you just get a plastic cutting knife and a straight edge, and they should show/tell you how to do it.

Just make sure to cut it so that there is some overhang (so the acrylic fits over the top and doesn't fall in), and make sure to leave a space along one side for air to come in and out, and for your lamp to clip on.
The plexi should cost you about $10, and the lamps are about 7-10 as well, so your entire top will only cost you about $20, far less than a hood, and you'll have some plexi left over for additional tanks as well.

Here's a photo of two of my tanks done this way:

And here's links to finding the lamps:
Do you have a walmart near you? Here's the link to them there: ($7 at my local store)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...Black/19398779

Or, here are some from amazon: ($10.00 with free shipping at 25$)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote