Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 
HappyTurtle

Red face How long until my Betta feels safe?

Poor pet store Half Moon Betta boy has had a traumatizing life up until now! I understand why he feels like hiding during this first week but how long until he calms down a bit? I'd like to see him!

Also, any name suggestions? I haven't hit on something that seems good enough for him.. He has a silver body with a red face and a large red stripe on all fins before they fade back into that silver color.
HappyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #2 
RowdyBetta

My shy-est boy was my last betta, Count Manzeppi. It took him about 3 days to come around. :3 on the 3rd evening, he swam out of his hiding place for his dinner.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Do you have any pictures?

And what do you mean, hiding?

It's quite possible his traumatizing life could have made him a bit wary? (what kind of events happened to him?)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4 
RowdyBetta

By the way, his colors sound gorgeous! Are you able to post pics?

It's not very manly xD lol, but how about Charis? It's greek for grace.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Do you have plenty of plants in your tank? That makes them feel more safe than anything else, at least in my experience. :) It's the predator/prey scenario, the more cover at the *top of the tank*, the more likely they are to swim around in it. :) Sometimes you may need to put your plants in upside down (IE, the bases will be hanging off the back of the tank or tied with white ribbon near the top, which allows the plants to float at the surface, providing a clearer space underneath for the fish to swim, (and for you to see him!), but giving him cover from things "overhead" that would like to eat him. :) (think like floating lilies, they provide cover from above, but with aquarium plants)

I've got two boys who are shy, and they've been with me for about four months now. Once I added some additional floating plants to their tank, they immediately felt more comfortable and acted happier. :)

Oh, and if you have a lighted hood, sometimes the light will bother them. Try acclimating them to it slowly. :)

One more, your boy sounds beautiful!! I'd love to see pictures if you can post any! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #6 
HappyTurtle

Those are great name ideas! Keep em comin' ;)

He's got some Mondo Grass and a big Anacharis which he is especially fond of in there with him, along with a clay pot so he has plenty of places to go when he feels threatened. (Which is part of the problem!) I'd love it if he would occasionally float around in the open area so I can admire his handsome colors.

What I mean when I say 'hiding' is flitting behind his plants and/or pot any time I move around the room. I'm sure this is from being stuck in a nasty little cup while being picked up, judged, and put back over and over on a busy Petsmart Saturday but how long until he realizes I'm not going to eat him?
His 5.5gal tank.

Sorry for the cell phone quality picture. He's chasing a pellet so his fins are furled a bit and the silver-ish color of his body reflects the pink stones when he's that close to the bottom.

Thanks, y'all!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #7 
HappyTurtle

WOW that came out huge. My apologies, I'm still trying to get the hang of this.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #8 
LillieCharlotte

ohhh he's pretty! I have a double tail halfmoon plakat in similar colors (also needs a name, lol) My fishie was a little shy at first, but once he realized lid open=food he always swims right to me whenever he sees me <3

He'll probably come around once he learns to associate you with food lol. Where do you keep the tank in the room? maybe if you keep it close to your bed or desk he'll get used to seeing you there, and not go hiding every time you come around.
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

I'm with Lillie, once they realize that you mean food, they suddenly become much more friendly. :) I think also just being around you helps, just getting used to the fact that you are in the room, and you move around, and things are okay helps a lot. :)

I hope he starts to float prettily for you soon! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

I would add more decor. Odd as it sounds, you will see him more when he has more places to hide. More hiding spots = predators can't see the fish = less stress = happier, braver fish. :) His tank is quite sparsely decorated. Floating plants are a particularly good way to build their confidence. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half moon, half moon betta, hiding, new betta, scared