Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #1 
lcswoosh05

Redish Blue Betta Fish

Last week I got a redish and blue Betta fish and for while it was swimming normaly and everything but starting day before yesterday I noticed that it likes to be on the bottom of the bowl and then it would move very fast and then rest again and get some air. I can say when it's resting it isn't laying on its side or anything but it seems to like the bottom area. Before it was just swimming everywhere and it made bubbles on top like normal. I talked to some people at Pet World in Omaha, NE and they said that it seems normal for them to be in the bottom and then move wild at times. It doesn't have any fungus or anything on it forsure. But do you guys think it's normal that Betta fish likes to be on the bottom of the bowl and then it goes up and moves again?
lcswoosh05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #2 
stephenmontero

what is the water temp and size of the tank? any tankmates?
Do u have a heater?
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #3 
It'sJames

I don't think it's normal. I have four bettas, none of which act like that. Can you give us a little info on your tank, such as tank size, if it has a heater, any other fish, how long it's been set up, ect? His water may be too cold, or your ammonia may be too high. Let us know a little more about the tank, and hopefully we can help.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #4 
lcswoosh05

But I mean it does move normal most of the time and everything but just likes to be on the bottom and at night it sleeps near the bottom.

Here are some pics of my fish.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #5 
lcswoosh05

All I know is that Pet World say that Bettas are the easiest fish to take care of and don't need much. They also said they can live in any size bowl. I got this Betta bowl from them too.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #6 
lcswoosh05

I guess what I could ask is that do Bettas like to be near the bottom alot and at night they sleep on the bottom?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #7 
It'sJames

He's very pretty! Congrats on your new betta. :D

Well, sounds like Pet World could stand to learn a thing or two about the proper care of bettas. What they told you was absolutely wrong. First of all, bettas should never be kept in any tank less than 2.5 gallons. Just becuase they can survive in a smaller container, doesn't mean you should keep them in one. It's kind of like keeping a cat in a cage it's whole life - it could survive, but it's not going to be happy or healthy. Bettas also need warm water - 78 deg. is perfect. Any colder than that and they tend to become lethargic. This is probably one of the reasons your betta spends some of it's time sitting still near the bottom. They also need something to hide behind or inside of, so they can get away when they feel threathened. Your betta will feel much more secure with some kind of cave or plants to hide behind when he wants to.

There's a couple things you can do to make him more comfortable. First, I would buy a small 2.5 - 5 gallon tank for him. They're really inexpensive, and don't take up too much space. A heater and glass thermometer are also vital to keeping your betta happy and healthy. Neither of these are expensive. Some plastic plants or aquarium decorations will give him somewhere to hide and also make the tank more interesting. Some gravel in the bottom will also harbor beneficial bacteria that help remove toxic ammonia, produced from waste and uneaten food, from the water.

A small filter would also be really great to buy. An undergravel or sponge filter will do fine - both are very cheap. A filter isn't absolutely necessary, but I would highly suggest it.

Getting your betta into a better enviroment is sure to make him more active.

And one last word of advice... don't trust what the people at the pet store say. Many of them mean well, but just don't know the proper care of all the animals they sell (especially fish), and others are just more interested in making money.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #8 
lcswoosh05

Well do I really need to get a bigger bowl since this bowl I kinda like since it doesnt take much space and plus its easier to change the water. But do I need to get some fake water plants to put in the bowl? So it the only reason why it likes to be near the bottom of the bowl is since it's too cold? I mean I hope trying to take care of a Betta isn't that hard since the only reason why I got mine is since the people at the store said that it is not hard to take care of plus I did ask them many questions about how to take care of Bettas. I' am not really rich and I don't have much money so I can't really get the top line stuff. Anyways what is the best thing I should do now to keep the Betta alive for long time? Get the fake plants or what?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #9 
lcswoosh05

Well I guess I could ask this but what is the easiest way to care for Bettas without costing too much money? Is the real reason why my Betta is near the bottom is since the water is too cold? Well putting a heater next to the bowl help?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #10 
It'sJames

I would at least get a 2.5 gallon tank, a heater and themometer. That's the least you can do for him. Fish are pets, so if you don't want to have to deal with taking care of a bet, then maybe return him to the store.