Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #11 
lcswoosh05

When you say heater do you mean a small portable room heaters? I have those.
lcswoosh05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #12 
Meatpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sJames
I would at least get a 2.5 gallon tank, a heater and themometer. That's the least you can do for him. Fish are pets, so if you don't want to have to deal with taking care of a bet, then maybe return him to the store.
i agree. what you have now is the bare minimum to keep him alive. he is not moving because he is lethargic. and he does need at least a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater (at least) with plants and hiding spaces. dont worry about the water changes bcuz the bigger the tank- the more water- the less mantainence it needs. with a bowl your size you would have to do alot of water change bcuz of the amonia build up from the fish waste and food.

Fish are pets too. if you cant take care of them you sholdnt get them until your ready.

read this link for more info on betta care
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17558
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #13 
lcswoosh05

When you guys say heater do you mean portable room heaters? Since I have those. Also I need is a atualy fish tank not a fish bowl? Are all fish bowls too small? There one was that was little bigger than what I have right now but do I need to get that? It's a round shape bowl not like mine is.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #14 
Meatpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcswoosh05
When you guys say heater do you mean portable room heaters? Since I have those. Also I need is a atualy fish tank not a fish bowl? Are all fish bowls too small? There one was that was little bigger than what I have right now but do I need to get that? It's a round shape bowl not like mine is.
heater- they are little submersable water heaters you can get at your lfs. they come in different wattages. for tanks is 5 watts per gallon.
and i prefer acctuall tanks and recomend them. if its a bowl, its fine as long as its at least 2.5 gallons with a proper cover (i seen and had fish that jump out) and a heater.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #15 
graciegrapes

I see that everyone on here is pushing for you to get a bigger tank, and while that would be the best thing to do some ways to improve your current set up would be to at least add some gravel/marbles, plant or some sort of decor. From the picture your bowl doesn't look too big, so you may find that once you start to add things to the tank it will be too crowded for your betta.

Personally, my betta is in a 1 gallon tank set (came with gravel, plant, and filter) I got from petco for $15. The only think I did was switch out the fake plant for a bunch of live ones. With this setup I do partial water changes every day, which is necessary with smaller setups.
My whole setup cost me no more than $20, and my betta seems pretty happy (very active and he make a bubble nest). Hopefully this helps with your situation.
graciegrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #16 
paws

don't you think he is a bit bored in that tiny little thing with nothing to do. Imagine yourself in a tiny cold little room with nothing to do. Not very fun. I keep my betta in a 10 gallon. Not a .5 gallon! I agree with everyone else. A 2.5 aquarium need and a heater. I have a fry tank and i use a 50 watt heater and it doesn't over heat.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #17 
cyrina116

in answer to your previous question, my betta likes to sleep in his plant. While he does swim around his tank, he takes occasional rests in his plant or his hollow rock. I think if you got him a plant it might help him out. I think they need a place they can "hide" or they get stressed out.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you could buy the betta starter kit tank that they sell at petsmart/petco. I got mine for $9.99. It made it really easy to do water changes and it came with gravel and a plant. Then when he got a little bigger, i bought him a 2.5 gallon tank.
cyrina116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #18 
okiemavis

If you're willing to do daily water changes, you can definitely get away with no filter in a tank. A heater however is very important. He'll be a lot more active, interesting and healthy if he is in properly warm water. Believe me, there's really no point in keeping a fish if it's just going to sit there like a lump. Bettas are very smart fish- he will learn to recognize you, he'll swim to the front of the tank if he sees you and you can even teach him to eat right out of your fingers.

If you're looking for something cheap, you should look on your local craigslist. Often you can find a nice, spacious tank with a filter, heater, gravel and everything else you need for just a few dollars. People even regularly give fish supplies away for free.

One thing I want to explain is why regular water changes are so important. When a fish goes to the bathroom they are going right in the water they live in. This fish waste has lots of ammonia in it, which is not healthy for humans or fish. While a little bit will quickly dissipate into the water, more than that will begin to burn your fish- the way ammonia will burn you if it gets on your skin.

A larger fish tank has bacteria living in it that will eat fish waste, and make it into something much less dangerous. However, in such a small tank, there will never be enough bacteria in there for the fish waste to be broken down. Therefore you will have to change the water every day to prevent the water from becoming toxic to your fish.

I know it sucks to go to a pet store (where they should know about pets!), think you are getting a nice setup for your fish, and then get home and realize that it will quickly kill your new pet! Unfortunately, most pet stores will tell you anything to make more money. The employees there work for minimum wage and have little or no training on the care of fish.

This happens to pretty much everything when they first decide to start keeping fish. It totally stinks, and I strongly encourage you to go back to the store and complain. I myself was sold a fish that would kill all my other fish, and told that it would be a peaceful algae eater! Now it is up to you to decide how you will care for the fish. Hopefully this experience won't put you off fish forever, and you can find a home for your betta that is both fair to him, and your wallet.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #19 
Ariel

there are cheap little live plants at wlamart that im sure he would like. It is understandable if you are not able to get a tank right now. A plant would at least reduce stress and give him a place to hide.
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #20 
lcswoosh05

I found out the biggest reason he wasn't doing well is since the temp since lately it's getting warmer and so the water isn't as cold so right now his starting to make the bubble nest again and doing well. So that makes me happy. So I guess that means I need a heater when the weather gets kinda cold. But one thing I need to know is that since the water changes I made it kinda made some fungus on the fines and on it's body a little and I did get some stuff to clear that stuff and most of it is gone but some parts of his fines kinda came off but will they grow back again? Basicaly his doing alot better I can tell by how his acting but just that little parts of his fines came off I think it's because of the fungus he had before. There is little bit fungus on his fines and is coming off too but other parts of his body is clean now and no more fungus. I mean when I say they are coming off I don't mean like a ton are falling off. I just need to know if they will grow back again. I know that if I was upstairs then it wouldn't be as cold but my room is downstairs so it kinda gets cold at night in the winter.