Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #11 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostiethatlikesherbetta View Post
hmm... i live in vancouver, canada and we have this awesome store called Noahs Pet Ark but its locally owned...not sure. petsmarts ive been to have them too but ive heard canada is WAY better than the US for fish stuff. ive also heard bamboo absorbs nitrates and turns it into oxygen. another plus (if you can find it) :)
You very much for the information I will definitely look into that.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #12 
justmel

My fiance never could grown plants in his tank. When I decided to start trying to use them for my bettas I asked at the store. I know they don't always know everything, but I asked at a couple different ones & different people at the ones I asked. I simply told them that I had never done live plants before and needed ones that were easy to care for & grow. They helped me pick some out, I got some root tabs for plant food, and have had no problem. I also only use the tank hood light for lighting. I usually end up leaving it on 8 to 12 hours.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #13 
bannlow2471

@ justmel, thanks so much. Can you give me a brand name that I should look for?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #14 
Draug Isilme

You should definitely figure out the right lighting set up for your plants- that sounds like it's your #1 problem. Plants like anubis and java fern are low light plants and while they don't need much care, they still need the basics. Make sure you aim for at least a 6500k bulb. Sometimes 5500k will do it, but typically it's better to aim a bit higher.. You should also make sure it has 1-2 watts per gallon- I believe about .5-1.5 is low light so anything 1.50+ is medium to high lighting. When it comes to wpg, though, distance does matter so make sure your tank isn't too deep or your light isn't too far away for it to be affective. If anything, you can always use natural sunlight to help your plants. Just make sure you keep an eye on how many hours of light you give your plants. 8hrs minimum, 12 hrs max. Too much can result in an algae bloom while too little will not be enough for your plants to thrive/survive.
It seems like bamboo plants are pretty hardy so you could probably get away with having one without a light, but personally I'd say plants still need the basics. Water and light. And bamboo does eat the nitrates, but keep in mind any aquarium (if not all plants) use nitrates as food. One way that I know how plants eat is through nitrification. (which is pretty much the "biological oxidation of ammonia with oxygen into nitrite, followed by the oxidation of these nitrites into nitrates." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrification.)
So you can stick to the plants you already like to get.. change your lighting situation and I'm sure it'll work out for you ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #15 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
@ justmel, thanks so much. Can you give me a brand name that I should look for?
This is what I used http://www.petco.com/product/112621/...t=OnSiteSearch

You should know though that I am a total novice at aquarium plants. Had them maybe 2 months now. Only 1 has died and I had to trim several back, but I am in no way a plant expert. The advice of others here might be better for you to follow, but the root tabs & hood light has worked for me.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #16 
bannlow2471

Thanks very much, I appreciate it! I guess this is a stupid question, but I assume this stuff is safe for Bettas. That's always been my fear ... that I would try to salvage the plants and harm the fish. My tanks are small - two five gallons and a 2.5, so if I have to replace them periodically I guess it's not a huge deal.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #17 
Draug Isilme

Root tabs are nice, plants really seem to love them. The only slight downfall to them is they last to about 3 months. If you want a flourish of aquarium plants, it's good to get plant substrate because it will last a year. Otherwise, sticking tabs will do you just fine, especially for heavy root feeders. And I think my last advice about nitrification was leaning more towards the nitrogen cycle, which I believe doesn't quite hapen with planted tanks because the nutrients to make it is already sucked up into the plants... So I apologize if it's not 100% accurate to this situation ^.^; I'll probably look it up more to reafirm the point I was aiming at with plants when I have more time...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #18 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Root tabs are nice, plants really seem to love them. The only slight downfall to them is they last to about 3 months. If you want a flourish of aquarium plants, it's good to get plant substrate because it will last a year. Otherwise, sticking tabs will do you just fine, especially for heavy root feeders. And I think my last advice about nitrification was leaning more towards the nitrogen cycle, which I believe doesn't quite hapen with planted tanks because the nutrients to make it is already sucked up into the plants... So I apologize if it's not 100% accurate to this situation ^.^; I'll probably look it up more to reafirm the point I was aiming at with plants when I have more time...
Thanks for the help. I'll try root tabs. I do have some natural aquarium stones in there but no sand or anything like that.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #19 
justmel

@ Draug Isilme - I enjoyed reading the information about nitrification and am very sure I will be able to use it.

bannlow - I have regular aquarium gravel in my tank. It's about 2 - 2 1/2 inches deep so the plants had enough, but it doesn't give me trouble. Eventually I will be changing to all NPTs, but as I'm moving in a couple months that will have to wait till after the move. I'm not sure plant substrate would work for a 2.5 gallon tank well, but you might be able to d something with your 5 gallon tanks if you wanted.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #20 
bannlow2471

@justmel, thank you so much. I have a lot to learn and am just feeling my way and soaking up all the knowledge here. Lots of thanks to all who have responded!