Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #1 
Kyurem150

Beginner Betta Owner Questions

I am pleased to save a Betta from their original 'cups'. Now as a new and fairly newby owner. I have some questions. My MultiColored Crowntail has blown a BubbleNest just last night (4/7/13) What does this mean? Is he happy? Also, he has not been eating anything since the day I got him. (4/6/13) Is this normal for a Betta? Or is there something that should be done? I have a 1.5 Gallon tank with Aqeuon Pellet Food. Marina Heater and the Whisper Filter that came with the tank.

<Items> I was thinking about going to PetSmart in the weeks to come but not sure what I should get. Wish List:
*Moss Balls >> Is this good?
*Blood Worms
*Live or silk plants?
*A tankmate >> I've heard about shrimps and snails.
*Decor
*Air Stone?

How should I change the water in my tank? Every week do a 10% water change? Or is my tank supposed to 'cycle'?

I have some Pictures to share about my Betta *Boxxer*

http://imgur.com/CtCY9iX
http://imgur.com/GZcX7SK
http://imgur.com/0gQYAx2
http://imgur.com/ACJyAtJ
http://imgur.com/IMsquwa

Thank you and please post information, tips, and suggestions!! <3
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 
AkaRyu

Welcome ^^ I'm surprised no one has responded yet, I guess its a little slow tonight.
What tank kit did you get? I got a 3gallon kit that came with a tetra filter and it was terrible, I tossed it out. Bettas don't need a filter, especially in such a small tank. Your betta will be perfectly happy in still water.
They build bubble nests because they are happy is wht I've heard. Plus if you take out the filter, it won't disturb his nest!
I personally like that heater, so that's a good pick. On the water changes, he'll need more changes than that. I would at least do one 50% and one 100% a week. Especially if you do remove that filter. On that note, 1.5gallons is a little small to have any tank mates. The amonia levels will go up fast and make your fish sick.
I personally lean towards silk plants. Someone with knowledge on live plants nd mossballs can tell you more. On decor, you can get your fish a nice little cave if he fees like hiding. Wide leaf plants are great too so he can rest on them. Be careful with the top fin bran of plants though, the plants with the black base have metal wire which will rust and get your fish sick.
I would change your pellets though. Petsmart hs a great brand called omega one betta buffet. Its 3-4$ for a bottle and they're one of the preferred food brands for betta fish.
An air stne isn't neccessary, betta fish breathe air from the surface instead of through their gills like other fish do.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Sorry if there are typos, my phone keyboard isn't all that great^^
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #3 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

welcome!
first things first. IF possible, try getting a 2.5-5 gallon tank, with a heater. no filter nessisary. he (boxxer, right?) will be MUCH happier. bubble nests mean that the fish is ready to spawn and is happy. my fish, Phoenix, does it all the time. they do not have to mate. not eating is fine, probably just getting used to his settings. Phoenix didnt sleep for a few days after i got him. i use the same pellets as you do, try soaking them in garlic juice. bettas find it more appetizing.
1) moss balls are fine
2) blood worms should only be a treat, as they are fatty. Bettas love them, so if your fish doesnt eat them try cutting one in half. Phoenix cant eat a whole one cuz its too big.
3) either. i like having a little live bamboo shoot in it because its hardly any work.
4) you must have a 2.5 gal. tank for tank mates. good rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon. snails are good but reproduce fast. shrimp are great but an ocational tasty treat. neon tetras are exelent but as they are school fish they are best to buy about ten so that leaves you with a minamum 10 gal. tank...
5) decorations are great! bettas LOVE places to hide because it makes them feel secure.
6) airstones? i dont know much on them, sorry.
hope this helped! tell me how it works!
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #4 
SunshineSulie

Bubble nests usually means that the betta is happy, which is a good thing. :)

Some bettas take a while to get used to their new homes, so they don't eat for a bit. If this persists, I would start to worry, but it sounds like he is just getting used to his new home. :)

The brand of food you are using tends to bloat my betta, so watch out for that. It isn't a BAD brand, but it isn't GREAT either, so yeah. I ended up switching to Omega One, and suggest you do, too. You can still supplement with Aqueon, I give her one pellet a week along with her usual Omega One.

I have a moss ball and my betta loves it! When you get it, make sure you wash it (just some tap water, if yours is clean, should work well enough) before putting it into the tank. When you do water changes, rinse him off again. :)

Frozen foods are always better than freeze dried foods, since they seem to cause bloat, if I remember correctly... Besides, my betta always hated them and would not touch them. Lol ol

As for plants, I always say go for the live ones. They are more beautiful and many of them don't require too much care. Do a little light research or wait for a more knowledgeable person to come along, lol ol.

In a little tank like that, I would advise against a tank mate... It is iffy in a larger tank, because bettas tend to be aggressive... And too much waste can mess with the water and make one or both animals sick.

As for decor, I would wait to see what your betta is like, personality wise. Sounds silly. Lol ol. Also, people tend to avoid plastic cave-things.. Many get the betta hammok leave thing or the betta log and their bettas are happy. Mine is happy with just plants. :)

I wouldn't bother with the air stone. Bettas don't need too much dissolved oxygen in their water because they have a special organ that allows them to get air from the surface of the water. Some say the oxygen and air in the water can even hurt them. They also don't like strong currents, so yeah, I would say no air stone.

For a tank that small, you are going to want to do 2 50% water changes a week with one 100% change. You can use a turkey baster (got mine from Dollar Tree) to get water from the bottom where waste collects. :)

Hope that helped! I am sort of a noob with bettas, but mine is doing REALLY well, and I have learned much here. Good luck!
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #5 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

oh ya and for cleans, one 50% and one 100% is best.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #6 
SunshineSulie

By the way, beautiful betta! :)
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A bubble nest is a instinctual thing- it really does not mean they are happy. I have seen bettas at the petstore who were on deaths door blowing bubble nests. Just wanted to clear that up.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #8 
Kyurem150

Thank you for the info. I might change the food or buy a backup of Omega one. Then I'll get some silk plants with big leaves as suggested and a cave. I'm not sure gow to take out the filter... I think it is connected to the tank as I got a Tetra Wonders 1.5 Gallon Tank. (It costed $25) I probably will get a moss ball but it is expensive kinda ($7) no tank mates is fine with me. And what kink of bloodworms do you guys suggest? Also, I am going to do a water change today (4/9/13) (My birthday) should I do a 100% change or 50% change? Also, how many drops of the water conditioner should I use? The first time I dropped 2 drops. Thanks again, I hope I learn a lot more!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #9 
Kyurem150

Also how many pellets can feed him a day? Can someone show me there feeding schedule?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #10 
SunshineSulie

I'd just do a 50% today. And I feed mine once (3 p.m.) a day with 3 pellets, but many people feed twice a day with 1 or 2 pellets each feeding.