Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #1 
Shepaski

Fish food question

I'm currently looking you on Betta food to feed my boy Sully. and i usually have quite a debate with my Aquarium keeping buddy.
the questions we always silently fight over is
What type of food is best for our bettas

I live in south east asia so asking for a brand recommendation wouldn't be the best idea at the moment. So i'd like to ask a few thing.

what must you look out for on the packaging of the betta fish food in the pets store?
We have different brands of fish food here and everyone one of them has different nutritional value written on the back, I'm currently using the cheep stuff and when i look at the expensive one, their Crude protein, Crude Fat, Crude fiber, Moisture and Ash us usually pretty high numbers, particularly the fat and the fiber.

So what must i look out for to deem the fish food good for my fish?
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #2 
AkaRyu

I've often heard around here that at least th first 3ingredients should be whole fish, not fish meal (and certainly not any grain products!)

Here in the US petsmart carries a brand named Omega One Betta Buffet and it's often recomnded. So is another brand called New Life Spectrum, but its pricy ad I've only seen it at my local fish store. If you find those two per chance, they're good brands ^^
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #3 
Shepaski

thanks for the reply Akaryu

what i want to know is what makes these two brands of food so popular? even if their prices high
Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #4 
Stone

What makes them popular is the fact most of it is whole fish, betta in the wild eat a diet of insects and larva, they do not eat wheat,rice, or any kind of grains they are carnivores not herbivores or even omnivores that is what makes thise brands popular amoung us here in the US of course I am sure we would all feed our fish live food if we had the time and space to raise live food for them, all my fish usually get frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp a few times a week and both omega one and NLS and I am lucky I can get NLS for 4.99 at one of our local stores it's like 2.50 cheaper than petsmart or petco

Last edited by Stone; 04-10-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 
ryancalif

Hikari is also a pretty popular brand, but I don't think you can purchase it at any of the chain pet stores - you have to order it online.

edit: ok, apparently you can get Hikari at Petco. :)

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-10-2013 at 12:40 PM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #6 
Shepaski

i can get Hikari freeze dry blood worms here : )

after looking up NLS i have a feeling the shops here might carry them. So when looking for fish food the ones with whole fish and not fish meal are the best?

the fiber and fat etc don't really matter?