Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #1 
LouiMon

I had an idea for simplifying water changes :3

I am planning on getting another ten gallon going soon (will definitely fishless-cycle this time) which will mean I'll need a fair bit of water for water changes.

The longest and most irritating part of the water change, for me, is getting the water to the right temp. So, I was thinking about maybe getting one of those 17 gallon bins and a 100watt heater and keeping it full of conditioned and perfectly heated water.

Plus it would be able to age for a few days which might be better, right?

Do you guys see any problem with this? It seems like it would really simplify things for me.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

That sounds like a good idea to me.

Because I just do small changes in my tanks, I just put the water in whatever temperature it is - your way is much better and safer. I wish I had the room!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #3 
dude

Marine fish keeper often age water in large bins and keep it for water changes, it's a good idea.

Another idea that a lot of people use to speed up water changes in a large tank is to get a length of hose and put it out the nearest window or back door to siphon water out of the tank. If you get a hose the right size that can fit on a siphon pump then you can get the siphon going into a bucket then connect the hose. If you have a big tank it saves 20 trips to empty a bucket.
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

I'm with Dude, I keep all my tanks either fairly close to a window (not in the window, but next to them), or near to a sink or a bathtub because that way I don't have to empty buckets. :)

Oh, and aging the water is a sometimes alternative to putting in water conditioner. (the chlorine evaporates after a few days) But, to do this, you have to make sure you don't have chloramine in your tap water. If you do, then you'll still need to add conditioner. Beyond that, if you use the water straight from the tap, I just get it to the right temp for what's already in the tank, fill up my jugs (I keep the 5g water jugs for filtered water just for this purpose), add my conditioner, let it sit for 15-20 mins, and then put it into my tanks.

But, it doesn't hurt anything to age the water, and if you have trouble getting it hot enough, the heated tub sounds like a great idea. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #5 
LouiMon

Alrighty. The tubs are on sale for $7 at Home Depot right now so I think I'll get one of them and a heater tomorrow :D

Any idea how long the water would stay fresh for?

Once my tank is cycled I'll probably only need a weekly 50% so would the water stay good for 3 weeks at a time?
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #6 
Stone

I usually do 1/2 my tanks on one day and the other half on another all of my tanks are moderately planted but I still do a weekly 25% change just because it is "safer" and I don't like sitting around and testing waiting for a problem then reacting to it. I have a long siphon hose and drain all my tanks into the bath tub, when it comes time to fill them up I take the spout off that fills the tub and I ahve a fitting I can put on there to connect a garden hose, I use the hose to fill up one of those big rubbermaid bins and because it's from the bathtub I can adjust the temp easily to get it from the bin to the tanks I have a "fountain pump" the kind for a water garden it's output just happens to be the same size as my siphon hose I attach the hose throw the pump in the bin after I have conditioned the water and added all my additives and plug it in and fill the tanks back up.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #7 
Juditko

+1 on the fountain pump. I added this a few weeks back, and it has made my weekly water change for my 10 gal a breeze. I also use the tap to get my water to the right temperature.

My pump did not come with a hose, so I found some clear plastic tubing at Lowe's in the plumbing department. An additional find was a plastic hook in the shape of a "J" which I then ziptied the clear hose to...a perfect end to hook over the aquarium edge (used upside down) to keep the hose in place while the tank filled.

Sorry for the sideways pics...I'm not too proficient with photos on this site yet. :/
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #8 
justmel

Some really good tips here. I'm in the process of setting up 8 different tanks, so the time (and back saving) tips are greatly appreciated!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #9 
ryancalif

I love the fountain pump idea.

I'm upgrading my tank to a Fluval Edge 12 gallon this weekend (exciting!) and am planning to build a more robust water change system (right now I'm just using 1 gallon water jugs).
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #10 
belleangel33

Because of my limited space (ok because of my boyfriend and the amount of space im allowed for bettas lol) I have a few 5 gallon buckets i use for aging water but I want to get a 30 gallon tub when i finally get a fish room to do as I please. you have the perfect idea!
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote