Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1 
rosiecat225

Need help with fin rot issue

Hi, my betta got a wee bit of fin rot about two weeks ago and has been acting strangely ever since. The fin rot was pretty mild so I did 100% water changes daily as well as adding AQ salt for about a week, and the problem seemed to clear up. My betta is still behaving as if he was sick, even though the fin rot is gone. He spent a lot of time sitting under his heater and I was worried he would get burned (my last betta did the same thing right before he died) so I moved the heater down so there was no longer a gap for him to sit under and now he swims around more. He hasn't been eating much either, I have to struggle to get him to eat a few pellets or bloodworms a day. He used to be super enthusiastic about his feeding times. He also went through a very rapid colour change when I stopped using the AQ salt. He used to be mostly blue/aqua with a little bit of red, and now he's mostly red with barely any blue. I took the pebbles out of his tank to make it easier to clean while he was sick, and in between the fin rot clearing up and now, I've noticed black fuzz sitting at the bottom of the tank and accumulating on the plants and decorative rocks. Occasionally I've seen the black fuzz clumps floating around with the fish, like they're attached to him. I cleaned his tank yesterday and did a 100% water change and this morning there was already a fair amount of fuzz in the water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ps I have him in a 0.5 gal tank, and I've had him for a few months with no issues until very recently.
rosiecat225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 
10asartin

How often are you doing water changes?
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #3 
10asartin

I believe you were saying daily 100%, but I just wanted to make sure
Old 04-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #4 
BarefootPixie

Please fill this out so we can get a better understanding of the situation.
Also, 0.5 is REALLY small so if you're not doing water changes every day you should be.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
BarefootPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #5 
rosiecat225

Please fill this out so we can get a better understanding of the situation.
Also, 0.5 is REALLY small so if you're not doing water changes every day you should be.
Housing
What size is your tank? 0.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? Right now it's 82F, some days it's colder due to weather making my house cold
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta biogold pellets and topfin freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin betta plus water conditioner or splash aqua all in one water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Blue/aqua to patchy pink/red
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Reluctant to eat, doesn't swim much unless disturbed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Roughly two weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? AQ salt, more frequent water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, he's a pet store fish

He's definitely more active on days when his water is warmer, but he still isn't eating as voraciously as he used to. I got him to eat a few worms and pellets today, but it took him awhile. He would swim up to it then back off a few times before eating it, and even then sometimes he spits it out.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #6 
10asartin

I would suspect ammonia poisoning. A fish kept in a 0.5 gal tank must receive 100% water changes daily. I imagine if you begin doing these daily water changes you will see some improvement, but I highly recommend getting him a larger tank. A larger tank will not only mean fewer water changes (especially if you get a filter), but it will also mean a healthier and happier fish.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #7 
rosiecat225

I can't afford a larger tank right now, nor do I have any room for one, but I'm hoping to change that soon. Until then I'll continue changing his water more often. He seems to be perking up, but I still don't know what the black fuzzy stuff is that's been floating around his tank. Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #8 
BarefootPixie

Those black things in the water are probably dead pieces of fin from when he had fin rot. As he grows new fin tissue the dead stuff will fall off. Just keep doing your daily water changes until you can get a bigger tank and you shouldn't have the ammonia/fin rot issues.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #9 
BarefootPixie

Also I forgot to mention- when I rescued Oberon he was having ammonia, fin rot and popeye issues and I did some searching and found this thread.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=71248
I tried the rooibos tea treatment for him and it worked wonders! Just make sure you use an organic unflavored one. I used Numi Rooibos. I was able to find it at my local grocery store but you may have to look at a health food store. It's pretty much like a fish spa.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #10 
rosiecat225

That sounds really cool, I'll try that ASAP! Thanks :)