Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #1 
SharkyTheBetta

Betta water changes during holiday :(

I need an advice... I will go in a holiday in May and I don't know what to do with water changes... A friend of mine will come to my place daily and feed them, but I wouldn't like to change their water because I'm sure she will not handle the situation properly.

One betta lives alone is in a 5 gallons tank, filtered and heated, with one natural plant. In this tank I do 2 water changes per week, one 50% and the other 100%.

The other betta lives togheter with 3 neons, 2 danio and 2 gouramis in a 15 gallons tank, filtered and heated. Here I do one regular water change per week, about 50%.

The problem is that I will be gone from 28 May to 5 June. I think the big tank will be ok, but I am worried about the smaller one. I will do a 100% water change on 27 May and until on 5 June there will be no water changes. Will my bettas be ok or should I try to teach my friend how to do a 50% water change? What do you think? I'm affraid that my friend will not have enough patience to do things right... I mean to measure the old and new water temperature, to add the conditioner and to acclimate my betta. What should I do? I will be far away from my country..
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #2 
DamanDhillon

I think the bigger tank will be ok.

If I were you I would teach her for the 10 g.

Make things simpler to understand for her and be sure to write down
every step clearly on paper and put it near the tanks.

This is what I did when I went on vacation. My friend was absolutely clueless about fish but with the step by step "guide" I gave her, she handled everything fine!

Goodluck
DamanDhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #3 
DamanDhillon

sorry I meant to say for the 5g not 10g ! :P
DamanDhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #4 
Melodica

Hmm, according to OFL's water changing thread, a 5g filtered tank doesn't even need 100% water changes. (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758)

If you're only going to be gone a little over a week, I would just do 50% (maybe 75% just to be safe) before you go and then do another similar change when you return. Just stress to your friend not to overfeed your fish as any uneaten food will raise the ammonia levels.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

Maybe just have your friend add a few drop of a water conditioner that lowers ammonia midweek just to help things while you are gone.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 
Otterfun

premix 4g of water in 4 containers (1 g each), ask friend to take out one gal and replace it with one gal jug every day so the temp fluctuations is not too hard for the fish.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #7 
SharkyTheBetta

Thanks everyone for the advice! You all are great betta owners!

I will change the water the day before I go, in both tanks and I'll right down a list of useful things to make them easier. When I make this change I'm going to show her, just in case.

I'll also let some conditionated water in very small containers, about 0.3 g each to make some changes. I guess if she remove 0.3 g of old water and she will add another 0.3 new water, the betta will be ok without acclimatization, as the quantity (0.3 g) is very small compared to the tank size (5 g). Am I right? Or is it dangerous?

Is it ok to add again another dose of water conditioner into the old water at the middle of the week? I am using Easy Life - Fluid Filter Medium and it's written on the bottle that it removes ammonia. This and the adding of 0.3 g new water seems to be the easiest ways.

When it comes to the 15 g tank, I'm tell her only to add some water conditioner (if this method is safe for the fish).

Feeding is not an issue. She fed my betta very well last year when I was gone (I had only one betta then in the 15 g tank so she didn't make any water change). I'll put the food in small plastic covered cups, every cup with the right portion for each day and for each betta. Also on every cup I'll write down the name of the betta and the name of the day. I used this method last year too. The funny part is that she called me then and told me that betta ate all of his food in less than 3 seconds and that he was still opening his mouth and asked for more. :))
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote