Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #11 
SunshineSulie

Sad, Waterdog. :(

I have easily spent over 100 dollars on just one female betta... She is my baby. I go to college and room alone due to a few learning disabilities that make social situations a bit awkward for me. So, I got a betta.

My fiance was like, "why a betta? All they do is try to kill things". And he still hasn't changed his mind much... I told him when we get married and move in together, he can have a tank as big as he wants with whatever he wants in it, and he was much happier... til I told him I got a 20 long gallon tank for my future betta sorority...

My grandma (who I live with when I am home on breaks) says "I spent too much d*mn money on that little sh*t". She thinks I am wasting my money and time on a fish and she doesn't hesitate to tell me how silly she thinks I am being.

My mom thinks I am turning into a crazy betta lady and is terrified to take care of Sunshine this summer while I am gone for 5 months in Alaska... Lol ol. She says "If I kill your baby, you are going to murder me, too!" and she might be right...

:P
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #12 
isochronism

It is about quality of life. It is a well known scientific fact that people that care for (love) a pet animal, have plants, gardens etc, have less stress and so on.
Not bad for racking up the Karma points, either!! :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #13 
belleangel33

OMG I am such a smuggler too! I have a couple I have to sell asap because I just bought a few more and need them gone so I dont have more all of a sudden lol Im having a clearance sale today in fact to try and rehome the non breeders LMAO oh and yes I soooo need to join Bettas Annonomous
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #14 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSulie View Post

My mom thinks I am turning into a crazy betta lady and is terrified to take care of Sunshine this summer while I am gone for 5 months in Alaska... Lol ol. She says "If I kill your baby, you are going to murder me, too!" and she might be right...

:P
My family say I am a crazy betta lady
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #15 
jadaBlu

My husband is putting up with the fish because I tell him I they make me happy(which is true, they are very fascinating!). I used to do gardening and art but I have some limitations now that don't allow me to do it as I once did. That was my meditation before. The fish do that for me now. I didn't expect that when I got them. That was the pleasant surprise. He has the all they do is kill each other attitude as well, doesn't believe they have personality and what make him most upset is you can't just put them in one tank together like other fish. He claims he would not be as upset if I had a 10 gallon with "regular" fish. The thing is they are as some people say "just' fish (it means more to me though). Honestly if he had bought 10 fish without asking me I would not be mad. I just keep hoping he will come to like them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #16 
Nicci Lu

My husband refers to my betta as "That D***ed Fish". He says he's going to found a Bettanon group for the partners of betta addicts. No way I can smuggle in a fish, but I have to smuggle in the stuff I buy for the tank. "Oh no, honey, that's the same [insert seachem product name/fish food here] I got a long time ago...You remember..." Poor guy is going to start thinking he's going senile.

I only have one betta. For the longest time, when I suggested another tank the answer was a flat out "no." With Petco's tank sale, I finally wheedled him to say yes, as a present for my having received a fellowship for graduate school. Major score. I can't wait till its ready and I can pick up a new betta!
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #17 
registereduser

Single here and loving my pet-filled life!

I think it might be a little easier when you have kids, blame your addiction on them fishkeeping is VERY EDUCATIONAL

Waterdog, for real? If that was her only complaint then you are better off without her.

PS: if any of you can have a workplace tank, that's a good way to sneak in one more!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #18 
AkaRyu

I bought my first betta while my bf was at work Man, he was angry when he came home! But he's grown to like (not love lol) little Phil. I can't get anything fish related when he's around. Thankfully he goes to look at the cats whenever we go to petsmart, then I can buy whatever i want
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #19 
JadeAngel

Mine put the limit at 4 >.< we have 2 5gallon tanks and 2 on the way... and he said no dividing them because it's not fair for the bettas.

So 4 is my limit. Any more, and there'd be fights for it. It's just not worth causing troubles in your marriage for a fish. So I pushed as far as I could, and now just have to accept that 4 5gallon tanks is the limit. I mention a 30 gallon community tank as a future project, and he gets flustered over it. So I always emphasize it would be a VERY future project. and he said once I get that in "years" then no more, at all, period.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #20 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
Mine put the limit at 4 >.< we have 2 5gallon tanks and 2 on the way... and he said no dividing them because it's not fair for the bettas.

So 4 is my limit. Any more, and there'd be fights for it. It's just not worth causing troubles in your marriage for a fish. So I pushed as far as I could, and now just have to accept that 4 5gallon tanks is the limit. I mention a 30 gallon community tank as a future project, and he gets flustered over it. So I always emphasize it would be a VERY future project. and he said once I get that in "years" then no more, at all, period.
I hope you are able to put just as many controls and limits on his hobbies as he has on yours.

I really don't understand this thing about BOYFRIENDS limiting your hobby. I mean if he wants to control you he better put a ring on it!

Last edited by registereduser; 04-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote