Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #21 
justmel

Let's see, between me & my daughter we have 16 betta & around a dozen 3wk old fry. There's 1 - 10 gallon tank divided 3 way, the 10 gallon fry tank, & a 10 gallon sorority tank (being upgraded to 29 gallon within 2 wks). 2 of the bettas are in QT. 1 is in a 4 gallon tank in my daughters room, & the rest are in various 1 to 1.5 gallon containers waiting for upgrades. My fiance keeps telling me to make a shopping list of what I need since every time he turns around I tell him I need something else. I made my list yesterday & need to buy 3 -29 gallon tanks & 2 more 10 gallon tanks. He keeps shaking his head at me every time I talk about my finned family, but he knows I am trying to start breeding them and start a business of sorts selling them.

Oh, I also have 4 being shipped today. by the weekend the count will be 20 bettas + the 13 fry.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #22 
Jexx

I respect my husband's wishes to a degree because he is my husband and I chose to marry him and make our lives joined. How ever, I will still push and push for what I want until he agrees or doesn't say no ^V^ I'm not sure I would stand for a boyfriend telling me no if I wasn't married however I am sure that would have to depend on a number of factors. I think when you share a home with another person whether you are married or not you have to take into account their wishes as you are not the sole inhabitant. If you choose to live with someone it is not fair to the to make their living space uncomfortable. It is a matter of respect. That being said, it does go both ways. It has to be two ways otherwise get all the damn fish you want lol. My husband doesn't really have any obsessions other than MTG and so far his collection is not taking up any space. My fish however WILL be taking over :P I have a little leeway because I bought him a new computer and hooked it up to a 37 inch tv in our bedroom with a wireless keyboard and mouse so that he could play his computer game in the comfort of our bedroom. I think I deserve at least 2 more fish for that!
AND I agree, if the only excuse she gave you for leaving were the fish, then good riddance!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #23 
jadaBlu

I got my first two late at night left them in cups overnight said nothing (this was an impulse I feel sorry them purchase) Then I was off then next day I foun this forum and what I needed and he came home to find to two 5 gallon tanks set up. There are more now I will tell you how many later.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #24 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I hope you are able to put just as many controls and limits on his hobbies as he has on yours.

I really don't understand this thing about BOYFRIENDS limiting your hobby. I mean if he wants to control you he better put a ring on it!
He is my husband of 8 years. Not boyfriend XD

But yeah, I do anyway Here's how we work out the general limitations. He has his room (his office) and I have my room, our bedroom. I can put what I want in our bedroom, and he can put what he wants in his office. But I have put my foot down before with stuff he wanted to get that would just take up too much room. So it's not about being a control freak, but keeping the other person from going overboard and crowding up the already crowded house.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #25 
Khaleesi

My boyfriend was with me when I bought Rhaegal, my 2nd betta. He was a little miffed, but mostly because (s)he? was a rescue and an impulse fish. I kind of swayed him by saying that I had a spare tank in the closet, so it wouldn't actually cost much more. And I was convinced that Rhaegal would die without me because (s)he was/is a baby, and pretty sick already.

I keep trying to convince him to let me get one more to name Drogon, so I can have all my dragons, but we don't have a whole lot of extra space or money, so it's more a joke than anything.

He tries to understand, and it's sweet that he tries. But I don't think he'll ever be as excited about my fish as I am.
Khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #26 
kimt

My husband has grumbled over every animal I brought home but he is such a softy once they are here. The supposed cat hater now will not go to bed without my Siamese girl. I have two bettas. The first one was for my son and I think it is teaching him some responsibility. He grumbled when I brought the second home but I caught him talking to him the other day, lol. I'm planning a sorority, but I agreed no more after the sorority. It's his house too and I think I have to respect his wishes to a degree. I also promised him I will get the two boys into a cycled 10 gallon eventually which will leave us with two fish tanks when all is said and done.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #27 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi View Post
He tries to understand, and it's sweet that he tries. But I don't think he'll ever be as excited about my fish as I am.
I thought the same about mine, but he seems to like the last one I brought home. The morning after when I got up he told me he had been playing with Ra that morning and sent me some good pictures he took. Keep trying. Maybe he will get as hooked as you are.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #28 
Jexx

Sometimes I think it may just be the type of fish. Kind of like how some ppl just don't like certain types of dogs or cats or whatever your animal of choice is. The other night I was reading a goldfish thread and I was showing him pictures of funny faced goldfish and he actually took the time to look and comment on the pictures. He doesn't even want to look at pictures of bettas.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #29 
PNP

Some of these posts have made me even happier that I'm single. I get sharing the space, etc., but it's easy to cross that into control issues. I've had relationships with control freaks. Never again.

I got my first betta in many years about three weeks ago, and I'm already wishing that I had room for another. However, my other animal addiction (cats) has taken over the house, and I won't put a fish tank where they'll become cat toys. Jazz is in my sewing room, which is off limits to the kitties. He keeps me company while I'm quilting.
PNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #30 
Catw0man

My 2 daughters and I have been living "back home" with my mom for the past couple of years, since my ex and I split. Years ago, when I was younger and still at home (prior to the girls being born), I used to have around 54 pet store bettas. Then I got out of them while the girls were little (they are 5 and 8 now). This past Christmas, I bought each of the girls a betta (they wanted puppies....naturally, I thought "a betta is kind of like an aquatic puppy, I'll get them each one of those instead!").

Well, that got me started again! And this time I discovered Aquabid! My story is that I have a "friend" in Thailand who breeds bettas....and he sends me free fish.....lol. The truth.....well, it's just not worth the conversation I know I would have with my dear mother if she ever found out how much money I spent on my fishies. It's a bit ridiculous to be a grown woman sneaking fish into the house....lol....but, you do what you gotta do! (and if any of you rat me out, I'll hunt you down! lol)
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote