Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Need new plants, need opinions

Alrighty, so my tank is in need of a new renovation. It's a planted tank, but seeing as how the soil is overdue for a change (and I found that using root tablets are more of a hassle than just renewing the substrate) I was wanting to get some new plants. I already have an anubis and a couple of marimo's still in there. However, I'm wanting to move on to more moderate-high lighting and was wondering if the plants I have on my list would work together. And if I should use any kind of fertilizers (it's only a 5g, with soil obviously less than that- roughly about 3g). I know I didn't really have to with my last plants because they were low light and didn't need the extra ferts.... but these, I've (mostly) never had so I'd like to make sure I go about it the right way before I purchase them:

-Micro Sword (I've tried this a few times, but I must be doing something wrong. I'd still like to keep trying with this plant and if it doesn't work, is there another kind of carpeting plant that thrives well?)
-Moneywort
-Water Sprite
-Anacharis (for floater)
-Chainsword, Narrow Leaf
-Banana Plant
-Dwarf Baby Tears (I think this is the only one that really needs high lighting, but I'm not sure if it'll throw off the other more moderate lighting plants)
-Dwarf Sagittaria (instead of micro sword)
-Dwarf Hairgrass (instead of Sagittaria or micro)
-Hygrophila Angustifolia
-Kleiner Bar Sword

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to get all the plants listed above for my lil dinky 5g, but I'd like to know if these are a good combination of plants to have in the same tank. I was also hoping that I could still use my usual light bulb for my tank. It's a 6500k 10w and I figured if my tank's about 3g then that means I get almost 3 watts per g which is from what I understand about mid-high lighting. I know I had my light on for about 8 hours at a time for my low lights so I'd guess the lighting for the new plants would work so long as it's 10-12hrs/average plant lighting in tanks. The soil I used last time was either CaribSea FloraMax or Seachem Flourite (I wanna say it's this one and I think I saw only one sack of this at my LFS so I'm probably going to get this one regardless). Okay, sorry for the long rant. Let me know what ya'll think, please ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 
gorillakev

Go with dwarf hairgrass and baby tears as a carpet. I have full grown dwarf sag in my 5 and its not so dwarf lol about 5 to 6 inches in height. You can't go wrong with stem plants also. O
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

I think baby tears grow up to 6" but they seem like they'd be good looking on the sides or something, I dunno... I double checked and I thougth dwarf sag was a foreground. But apparently it's more of a midground plant, growing up to a foot long O.o;;; lol... Seems like either microsword or dwarf hairgrass would be the best foreground for a carpet, as they grow to only 4".. Maybe baby tears for accents or banana plants... I don't know >.<
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

I think Microsword is a high light plant. It needs at least 2 watts per gallon. I have some right now in my 55 gallon tank, and it's not growing at all and it's kind of starting to melt. I only have one light fixture, though, and I don't know the wattage of the bulb (I think those long fluorescent bulbs only go up to 50 watts), so I have to get one of those double fixtures with 50 watt bulbs. You shouldn't have any problem getting at least a 10 watt bulb for your 5 gallon, though. I think most compact fluorescent bulbs are around 12 watts.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, the lighting isn't much of a problem. I usually use a 6500k 10w daylight and it does well... but microsword, I dunno... -.- I've bought it twice before and both times just didn't work out... I had pretty good ferts and everything---- wait wait wait.. I think I might know why, now. I had a lot of low light plants.. I thought microsword was listed as moderate so I thought I might be able to get away with it... and since I had about 8hrs ('cause anymore would cause algae bloom or cause my anubis to fester with holes)... so I'm guessing I just didn't have enough light, either.
But yeah, I think I've decided on dwarf hairgrass as it's the shortest of all the carpet plants and I've been able to narrow the plant list down to mostly all moderate lighting. So I was thinking:

-Moneywort
-Water Sprite
-Chainsword
-Banana Plant
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Dwarf Baby Tears
-Hygrophila Angustifolia