Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 
justmel

Red face Question concerning 3wk old fry

My family pushed and prodded me when I talked about spawning betta to do it, before I ever found this site. I did some research, but from being here I have learned not enough. Anyway, long story short, I have a 10 gallon tank with a minimum of 13 fry (I never have seen more then 15) I counted when I cleaned the tank today. I will be doing things differently next time around, but I keep reading you HAVE to do this or you HAVE to do that or the spawn will fail. I will be doing all of those have to's next time regardless, but when is it supposed to fail? Are my fry mostly out of danger because I didn't condition the parents before hand or because I didn't have any sort of worms to feed them? If not what are the dangers my fry are still facing and what should I be looking for?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #2 
Rigo22

Not to sound mean or anything but what exactly is your question/s?
Rigo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #3 
justmel

Got some picture

Here's the questions at the end of the first post again
Are my fry mostly out of danger because I didn't condition the parents before hand or because I didn't have any sort of worms to feed them? If not what are the dangers my fry are still facing and what should I be looking for?

I was able to get a couple decent pictures and figured it might help you answer my questions to see what they look like now.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Bettas spawn in less than ideal conditions all the time and have fry that manage to survive in spite of their owner's inexperience.

However, no one can tell what sort of damage may have been done to these fry because of things like an inappropriate diet or insufficient water changes (not saying that is the case here, just using examples).

It could very well be that although your fry may not show any physical effects from their not so perfect conception and upbringing, their lifespan may be shortened and so they pass earlier than a betta raised right from the very beginning.

Keep the water clean, the water changes regular, the diet good and the temperature right and your fry should be fine. Issues are caused when people let water quality slip, let the temperature of their grow-out fluctuate and either do not feed either enough, or feed a diet that is largely nutritionally 'empty'.

Also what are your fry eating now?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #5 
justmel

Thank you LBF, while I'm still a little worried about them and embarrassed to have let my family push me into the spawning you have made me feel better.

They are in a 10 gallon, filtered tank. Kept at 82-84 degrees. There's a ton of java moss, and the top has floating water sprite all over it. There's also a couple snails because algae started growing on the sides. They will be 3 wks old tomorrow & today was there 3rd 50% water change. I use the turkey baster several times a day. Right now they eat bbs several times a day.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

You could probably start bumping up the water changes now. In my grow-outs with only a small number of fry in them, I do 50% water changes every second day. It does help with their growth and just keeping the water quality top notch.

BBS is used by most people to raise their fry on. If you don't have access to any live cultures, introducing fry appropriate pellets and frozen foods once they are big enough should be a more than adequate diet.

Sounds like you are on track and I wouldn't worry too much if I was you.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 
justmel

The water changes I can do. I still have a few bettas that need upgraded to homes that don't need water changed that often anyway.

I was planning to look at the frozen foods offered around here again this weekend. I want to see if they have something that maybe I can cut up at least.

Thank you for the advice & the reassurance.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your in good hands . . . I wouldn't worry too much.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #9 
justmel

Thank you Indjo
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #10 
justmel

Did a 100% cleaning of my fry tank yesterday, so I got to count all the little fry. With how they move around it can be hard to do, but I'm saying I have 20 fry. 2 are tiny little things that hard really hard to see still, so not sure they are going to make it. Of course I have all sorts of different sizes. 1 bigger than all the rest. At 3 1/2 weeks (s)he's starting to show color and even displayed stress stripes yesterday when I cleaned the tank.

Is it normal for 3 1/2 wk fry to show color like that? I also have several I can start counting the rays in their caudal. I see their little pectoral fins going back and forth while they watched me through the glass, so cute.

Here's a couple pictures (this is in the middle of the tank change, so please excuse the dirty tank bottom)
Attached Images