Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #1 
iGoatfish

SBD for 3 months

Housing: shallow rubermade tub
What size is your tank? about 2 gal
What temperature is your tank? high 82 low 75.
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari betta bio gold and Blanched skinned peas
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets every other day lately I have been feeding him every 3rd day. He doesn't look that skinny

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other or 3rd day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75% to 95% of water. I suck out the wast every day if there is any
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I let my water sit for 24 hrs in a bucket with lg sponge filter also use IAL in tank. Use the same water for all of my bettas with no problems

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? not going to dive my self crazy with water tests

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Thick bump at tale base
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he floats
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 3 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? fast him for 3 days feed peas twice a day for 3 days fast for 3 more days then feed him a few hikari pellets once a day every other day for the last month
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Has been floating for 3 months prior to getting sick. I would over feed him as much as he could eat. One of my first fish. I did not know better.
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe 1.5

His poop looks normal. Not seeing any signs of parasites. His color is normal. He has lumps around his swim bladder one big one at the base of his tail.
Thinking about draining the swim bladder with a needle but have not seen any good documentation about doing this. I have herd of a case of a fish that was floating like mine for 2 months but it went away. My fish has been floating for for 3 months

Mahalo for your advice!
iGoatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

DO NOT DRAIN HIS SWIM BLADDER.

Draining the swim bladder will probably not work, it is unlikely you will puncture the right place, it will cause huge amounts of stress, and will open him right up to infection.

First of all, you need a heater. Even thought the temp stays in the correct range, it fluctuates way to much and that is bad for your fish. Second, you are feeding bad food. Stop feeding him pea. Start feeding him new life spectrum or omega one instead of the hikari. I would:

- Fast for three days
- During fast use Epsom salts at 1-2 tsp/g
- After the fast continue treating with Epsom salts if sbd does not stop, but start feeding small amounts of the food I suggested.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #3 
iGoatfish

Aloha Matt
Thanks for getting back to me. I will grab the heater I use for breeding and put it in with him. I will all so grab some Epson salt today and give that a try. As for the food I have been getting mixed reviews. I may have well over 300 fish at any one time depending on what I am selling. So what I feed my fish is very important to me since I have seen how diet has big roll in the development of bettas. Now I was under the impression hikari betta bio gold is the best and I personally think its pretty good as a staple food. Very few problems with it. The two foods you recommended have some questionable reviews. But as with any thing on the net there are always a few trolls out there who think they now every thing. Are you recommending the foods b/c my fish is sick or you think hikari is crap and new life spectrum and or omega betta floating is a better choice as a staple?
Thanks for your input. Aloha!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Hikari is a rather good brand, but I agree with Matt that NLS or Omega One are better choice. The main reason is due to the larger amount of actual fish protein (fish meat in the pellets). Bettas need a high protein diet, and these two brands cover that rather well. If he will not eat pellets, then feeding blood worms or brine shrimp can cover for it until he will eat them. NLS is covered in garlic, so that should help him want to eat it more along with boosting his immune system.

It isn't that Hikari is crap, but rather that there are better foods out there. I hope that this helps answer your questions about the food.

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for your SBD. I have never had to battle SBD. The only thing I know about the Epsom Salts is that you need to buy a brand without perfumes or any extra additives. This can really hurt your fish, so try to find the purest that you can.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hikari isn't exactly crap, its just not great food. When you are dealing with a fish who's condition very well may have been caused by diet you want to provide the best possible food for him. Hikari has a lot of filler which can cause bloat. NLS/OO do not. You could also try feeding some frozen daphnia.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #6 
iGoatfish

Don't think i can get frozen daphina here on Maui at least at a reasonable price. But I just put the word out with the breeders in hawaii to get some live ones so I can grow my own. Going to search the island and see if I can find some of the foods you guys recommended. Now making my way over to LFS is quite a drive for me. Is there anything else I should get just incase?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm not sure. Good luck! You can always order online.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

If there is a PetCo there, that's where you can get the New Life Spectrum and Omega One. PetSmart only sells Omega One. You can also order online. I've found that the smaller, local stores don't usually carry those brands.

Good luck!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #9 
iGoatfish

I have tryed to order live or frozen food online but most place eather won't ship to Hawaii or they want $40+ to ship it. I love Hawaii but its not cheap!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGoatfish View Post
I have tryed to order live or frozen food online but most place eather won't ship to Hawaii or they want $40+ to ship it. I love Hawaii but its not cheap!
I was referring to the NLS of OO. :P

You could always try ordering a worm culture from someone, or using wingless fruit flies. Sucks that its so expensive. :/