Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Unhappy ARGH, bacterial gill disease?? Help, please?

Bacterial Gill Disease.

What do you know about it, and what treats it successfully? Also, I'm going to clean the tanks, the gravel, the filters, everything...and start again with this crap. Any advice on that?

I'm afraid it's living in my gravel. I've had this problem before, years ago with columnaris. I need gravel to house my plants... :( Before I just ditched grave altogether...

I really believe this is what has been running through my tanks...and I'm OVER IT. As of yesterday, seven of the nine boys are showing symptoms, and three of them are looking pretty awful with the swollen gills, lying at the surface, and heavy breathing.
And I finally figured out how they're transmitting it...it's when I clean their tanks. I never even thought about the gravel vacuum going from tank to tank...and all that bacteria-housing gravel...going from tank to tank...ugh. How could I have been so STUPID? :/

What do I treat this crap with? I've treated it I THOUGHT successfully with heavy, lengthy doses of Jungle Fungus Cure (it's got the same stuff as the maracyn with the furazone except that I can get it in granule form, which is SOOO much easier to dose in small containers)...but the crap is back, and now it's moving through all the tanks. I believe this is what was possibly my problem with the Prime...except it wasn't the Prime, it was the blank-blank gill disease. :( I'm sure the water change just set it off, it was there, lurking, and the stress of even a routine water change and the increased temps because it's finally gotten into spring here in TN and it just took hold in their poor little gills. :(

Here's the sticky info:
Housing
What size is your tank? 20g divided 2 ways
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets, frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x/day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 25% once a week, sometimes every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tried Prime, now back to Tetra Safe Start

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Tanks are cycled...or they were, prior to meds...now I'm not sure if they will be or not.

Symptoms and Treatment

See Above.

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
from about 6 months to a year/18 months

As always...help is greatly appreciated. I've been all over the web looking this stuff up, and I've seen every different med rec known to man. I've got kanaplex, I can get just about anything else I need from the local stores. Should I just go heavy and do a three-dose of kanaplex and make sure that I've actually killed it this time? I hate to go heavy because of resistance, but I'm afraid that by fooling around with the maracyns with it that I've *already* made it fairly resistant...and now I just need to KILL IT.

Ugh...feeling guilty and worried for my boys. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote