Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #1 
Jexx

Half Giant?

So, I measured my Galileo because he is quite large (not fat). He measures 2.5 inches body only. 3.75-4 inches head to tail O.o. Is he a half giant? My female Esmeralda measures 2 inches body only, 2.5 head to tail. My newest boy Sesshomaru is only about 1.5 inches body only, 2-2.5 inches head to tail. There is quite a difference there. I read that Half giants are generally 2 inches body only or 3 inches head to tail.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 
alwaysaBettaLover

Hmm.... I have never heard of half giants... My boy is 3 and half inches.,
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 
Jexx

3.5 head to tail? I didn't know about half giants either until today! How much does you boy eat?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #4 
justmel

@ alwaysbettalover. You have a HM named Thor? To funny, my only HM is named Thor as well.

Jexx, I am just learning about half giants as well. I have a female in my sorority I wonder about, her body is 2" long. I do have a half giant female being shipped tomorrow though. Once she gets here & I can get some good pics I will post them for you & let you know how big she is.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #5 
Jexx

I feed him 4 pellets twice a day sometime 3 pellets 3 times a day. He never has that chubby look the others I see do and he's always looking for more. I wonder if he should be fed more. Same with my female. She doesn't have the belly I see on other females
Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

I always wondered this as well! My first boy is ENORMOUS. He's a good 4-4.5 inches head to tail, and his tail is NOT that huge or long (HM, so it's wide, but not long). His body is as big around as my index finger and he's NOT fat, he's just huge. No one else has ever gotten as big as he is (though all my guys are large, like 2.5-3" long from head to tail, but a lot of that is tail), and I always wondered why he'd gotten so big. When I first joined the forum I asked this same question, and I did have a couple of people suggest that he could be half king.

I do feed him more than the others, quite a bit more in fact. He probably eats seven or eight pellets twice a day, but I always check him before feeding to make sure that he's not tubby. If he is/was, then I'd cut that number down. Plus, my guys live in 10g's, so they do quite a lot of swimming and have good muscle tone, so they're using what they eat. If he was living in a smaller space or wasn't moving as much, I'd probably need to feed him less.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #7 
Stone

I think this is where all the "names" of types of bettas gets confusing I bought a "king" halfmoon betta from petco, they as rumor has it are smaller than giants, but yeah no elvis is as big as any giant in fact if you look up king betta there is no such thing other than thats what petco calls them as far as I know, I believe they are the same fish just somehow petco decided on calling them kings, as far as what the size requirement of a betta being classified as a giant I have no clue where that line is drawn maybe if someone has the IBC standards on betta they can tell us if the IBC has a size limit on bettas of the different fin types, I have no clue if there is or isn't a size limit on "normal" bettas and yes I have done quite a bit of research on this as far as the king/giant debate they are the same fish I have seen people go on and on about 7 inches which is a myth as far as I can tell 7 cm is what it really was but us silly american and our imperial system mess things up now and then I as of yet have not seen a 7 inch betta

Last edited by Stone; 04-08-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #8 
justmel

Here is a thread on King & Giant bettas.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=99066
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #9 
Stone

well maybe 7 inches if you include fins so it depends on hwo you measure them as well
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #10 
Jexx

That thread was very informative! thank you for posting. I still don't know how much I should be feeding my large male though