Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #11 
SpookyTooth

His fins are what we often call "clamped", meaning he is holding them very close to his body. Bettas will do that if they are unwell or stressed (other species can do it too I think but it's more noticeable with bettas); I still believe it's toxin related. I'm very glad that you chose to get a bunch of new supplies for your betta, he'll absolutely love his new home!!!

I sent you some links via PM about cycling your new aquarium, but in the meantime I'd suggest keeping up with the extra water changes (make sure you dechlorinate the water each time you do a chage and re-acclimatize the fish to the water and chemistry if doing a 100% water change). His fins don't look rough, honestly, though it's hard to tell when they are clamped.

Not all bettas will flare all the time, though. Sometimes if they aren't feeling well they won't flare, or sometimes they'll only flare when they're feeling unwell - it varies between fish.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #12 
Kittiekins

Thank you! Now I don't feel so worried.<3 Never heard of clamping. When I got him and for the first week he was nothing but Look at me! and all big and mighty
Kittiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #13 
D359

Im sorry your fishie is not feeling well. And I too am glad you are gettin all new stuff for him.

My fishie passed a few months ago and I started buying all new stuff, just got the new heater today. Maybe this weekend I will look for my new fish. ]

Hoping he gets better
D359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #14 
Kittiekins

Fishies new tank, gonna add plants later. 10gal. 2 filters, 2 small heaters(one for each side) gonna let it run over night to filer everything(: Fishie you will get better and mommy will be sure of it!!! can't wait for him to be full of life<3
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #15 
konstargirl

When it's done cycling, make sure you get a hood too so he won't jump out.. Plants is a big + too! Most of use here love to use Prime as a water conditioner. I wish you luck and Keep us updated about fishy.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #16 
Kittiekins

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post
When it's done cycling, make sure you get a hood too so he won't jump out.. Plants is a big + too! Most of use here love to use Prime as a water conditioner. I wish you luck and Keep us updated about fishy.
I have a lid for it already. Has lights and everything, but there's only 1spot in the hood for a filter. So I'll have to take one out, which their pretty strong so it should be ok(:
Gonna keep him alone for now until he gets better, then ill probably add a snail. I'm new to planted tanks, this would be my first time, so we will see how well that goes. Which by the way, does anyone know of a good moss to use to cover the WHOLE flooring?

I just know Fishie will be so happy in his new tank with lots of roaming space. PLUS the cats see it has a giant bath and don't wanna go next to it, so he wont be as scared by them.(:
Old 04-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #17 
Kittiekins

So Fishie has been moved into his new tank! And oh my! At first I was worried that it would stress him out with such a change. Boy was I wrong! The first thing he did was ram himself to try and get out of the baggy he was siting in! once it was long enough I let him go and hes swimming faster than hes ever swam before!!! He loves his little hiding rocks to! Can't wait to put in some plants and a little bottom feeder<3

But my question still remains... How long do you guys think until his fins unclamp and start to get better and the rips grow back? He'll be living by himself until he is 100%
Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #18 
SpookyTooth

Congratulations on your new set up! I don't think you'll need two filters, especially if they aren't baffled as this may stress your betta further. Are you going to do regular water quality tests and water changes while the aquarium cycles?

I also don't think the aquarium is big enough for a bottom feeder; a snail, yes, but a bottom feeder would outgrow the environment pretty quickly. I'd really advise against adding any other livestock until the aquarium is cycled as I don't honestly believe anything else will be able to survive the stress.

If the aquarium is going to cycle while the fish is in it it may be a while before his fins grow back, it depends upon how often you'll test and change the water.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #19 
Kittiekins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Congratulations on your new set up! I don't think you'll need two filters, especially if they aren't baffled as this may stress your betta further. Are you going to do regular water quality tests and water changes while the aquarium cycles?

I also don't think the aquarium is big enough for a bottom feeder; a snail, yes, but a bottom feeder would outgrow the environment pretty quickly. I'd really advise against adding any other livestock until the aquarium is cycled as I don't honestly believe anything else will be able to survive the stress.

If the aquarium is going to cycle while the fish is in it it may be a while before his fins grow back, it depends upon how often you'll test and change the water.
By bottom feeder I do mean a snail. I've always considered them bottom feeders because, well... because their on the bottom of the tank! And yea, I'm gonna see if my local pet store has a test kit. I'm not adding anything until Fishie gets better. I don't want him to stress out any more then he has (although he doesn't seem stressed at all, in fact he already seems to be getting better!) He's enjoying being higher then the cats and see him now gets to look down at them instead of straight at them and he's swimming around his new tank a lot!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #20 
SpookyTooth

That's fantastic! I'm ever so pleased, if you need any more help or advice then please let us know And your definition of snail makes sense to me; my assasin snails are always on the bottom (or the baby ones are scooting around on plants).

Tags
dumbo, elephant ear betta, healthy or not, worried