Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #21 
Kittiekins

Would a Loach be ok? I heard they are good to put into 10gals and that they dont fight with the betta.
Could that be something I can put? All so I was thinking once Fishie gets better to put in Dwarf baby tears as a carpet. Would the snail be ok in something like that?
Kittiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #22 
Kittiekins

He thinks that he can always hide from me. With those big eyes! He really does like his little rock hideouts though(:
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #23 
SpookyTooth

I'm not sure how loaches would do. I imagine you'd need a fairly established aquarium and I don't know for certain but I believe they need a minimum of 20 gallons. You'd need to do research into the individual species you'd be interested in before deciding.

Regarding the snail, it depends on what species you get. Some eat live plant matter and would decimate any plants you get whereas others prefer dead plant matter and/or algae.

How is your fish doing? Does he seem less clamped?
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #24 
Kittiekins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
I'm not sure how loaches would do. I imagine you'd need a fairly established aquarium and I don't know for certain but I believe they need a minimum of 20 gallons. You'd need to do research into the individual species you'd be interested in before deciding.

Regarding the snail, it depends on what species you get. Some eat live plant matter and would decimate any plants you get whereas others prefer dead plant matter and/or algae.

How is your fish doing? Does he seem less clamped?
Yeaa. I'll trying to do as much research on the plants first so I can establish the tank(: I never realized how much it took to grow dwarf baby tears!
And Fishie, he's swimming around a lot more which is good his anal fin seems to be relaxing a LITTLE bit, same with his caudal fish, but he's dorsal fin is still very tightly clamped. Still having some feeding problems though.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #25 
Kittiekins

I'm thinking either Dwarf Loach, Kuhli Loach, or a Butterfly Hillstream Loach. But it think the temp would be a little hot for a Butterfly Hillstream Loach. So I'm mostly looking at DL and KL to see which one. Just to remind every one it will probably be a good 3 months, MINIMUM, before I get these.
One month to get Fishy back to 110%.
One month for the plants to fully grow in, one I get them.
and another to make sure everything is established and stable.
Plus it gives me time to get a job and save up some!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

For plants I definitely recommend getting some water sprite to float, my bettas love that stuff and get mad if I take it out haha. You could try dwarf hairgrass if your lighting is high enough, I had that growing in my 10 gallon fairly well and you can get it usually at Petco/Petsmart. Also Java ferns are easy to grow and my guy Ditto loves to sleep in his! And then my other guy Piebald sleeps in his anubias plants which are also easy to grow and look pretty nice as well!

As far as a Hillstream Loach, I think they need a fast water movement? I'm not entirely sure about that one but I've heard Kuhli loaches doing fine but yes always do max. amount of research before you get anything.

He's lucky to have you! Good luck and keep us posted!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #27 
SpookyTooth

I'm very excited for you and fishie! I'm sure he'll thrive once he's feeling better. Another good, easy to grow plant species is Anarcharis (or elodea/egeria densa); it releases an enzyme that can help reduce certain species of aglae, too. Grows like a weed and can either be planted or left floating.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #28 
Kittiekins

I went out to eat and when I came back HIS PECTORAL FINS CLAMPED UP!!!!!! And it looks like he's struggling to breath! I straight away did another water test and nothing has change!

The water is between 78 and 80
GH: little less the 120ppm
KH: Around 40ppm
PH: between 7 and 7.5ppm
NO2: 0ppm
NO3: between 0 and 10pp,
Ammonia: 0
Why the sudden change in his body and behavior?!?!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #29 
SpookyTooth

Oh wow you have Nitrates already? Did you use some form of bacterial supplement? Are you using a test strips or a liquid kit? Unfortunately test strips are often unaccurate due to storage.

It might be that he was unwell when you bought him and is struggling to recover.

Did you acclimatize him properly to his new aquarium? I don't just mean letting him sit there for half an hour to adjust to the temperature, I also mean dumping out old water and putting new water in so he adjusts to the change in water chemistry, too.

I'm also wondering about the filter you used. Does it cause a lot of surface movement?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #30 
Kittiekins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Oh wow you have Nitrates already? Did you use some form of bacterial supplement? Are you using a test strips or a liquid kit? Unfortunately test strips are often unaccurate due to storage.

It might be that he was unwell when you bought him and is struggling to recover.

Did you acclimatize him properly to his new aquarium? I don't just mean letting him sit there for half an hour to adjust to the temperature, I also mean dumping out old water and putting new water in so he adjusts to the change in water chemistry, too.

I'm also wondering about the filter you used. Does it cause a lot of surface movement?
Well when I came home from work, Fishie had passed....TT.TT
I don't know why I could have done more.
I used test strips, its what the guy at the petstore recommended to me that was within my money struggles at the moment. He also said I shouldn't worry as long as the nitrate is BELOW 30. This is coming from what is suppose to be petcos fish expert.
I have aquarium salt, stress coat, and prime water conditioned.
The filter wasn't to strong, he would swim under it and not have a problem.
And when putting him in water I let him sit for about 2hours until his water temp was the same then remove some old water and slowly place in the new water. Ends up taking a good 4hours before his in his actually tank.
But ever since I got him, he REFUSED to eat. I tried everything, but nothing worked. Every couple of days he would eat one or two blood worms but that's it. So maybe I did just get a sick fish? I tried everything I could without over loading the water... So I guess for now I'm just gonna work on the aquascape I wanted to do and maybe get another betta in a few months.... Just not anytime soon.
Don't know what happened don't know what else I could have done...

Tags
dumbo, elephant ear betta, healthy or not, worried