Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #31 
SpookyTooth

Aw I'm so sorry. Nitrates are usually all right below 30 but what is confusing me is that you hadn't cyled the aquarium yet and were getting nitrate readings. Nitrates means the cycle is done. I don't trust test strips because they can be extremely unreliable depending on how they are stored.

You acclimatize him properly, I thought you would :)

It sounds like you got a sick fish, you tried very hard and did everything you could, I commend you for it! Maybe now you can cycle the aquarium fishlessly and then, once it's done, you'll feel up to getting a new friend?

Once again I'm really sorry.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #32 
Kittiekins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Aw I'm so sorry. Nitrates are usually all right below 30 but what is confusing me is that you hadn't cyled the aquarium yet and were getting nitrate readings. Nitrates means the cycle is done. I don't trust test strips because they can be extremely unreliable depending on how they are stored.

You acclimatize him properly, I thought you would :)

It sounds like you got a sick fish, you tried very hard and did everything you could, I commend you for it! Maybe now you can cycle the aquarium fishlessly and then, once it's done, you'll feel up to getting a new friend?

Once again I'm really sorry.
I think i'm just gonna work on the aquatic space of it before getting any new fishy friends. Petco never really takes good care of their bettas anyways. And yea.. this time I'll do a fishless cycle. Maybe it did that because I had two filers in? to the water went though fast? I'm not sure I'm still new to the chemicals of water and such like that. I really don't know why but lately I have been really into wanting to get fish and play with the tanks. It's like an underwater garden. It's just so pretty.
Kittiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #33 
bannlow2471

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you did everything you knew to do. Perhaps he was just too ill ... So sad!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #34 
SpookyTooth

Nitrates should show after four to six weeks, not a couple of days (unless you used established filter media and/or a bacterial supplement). Odd, odd, but either way once you get to grips with a cycle and get that done it'll remove a lot of the stress of keeping a fish! The animal will flourish in your care once you've decided it's the right time to try again
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumbo, elephant ear betta, healthy or not, worried