Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 
Elliriyanna

Feeding Frozen Bloodworms?

Is it ok to feed a Betta frozen / thawed bloodworms? How often can you feed them? I am also considering adding 2-3 ADF to our family so if he gets ahold of theirs is that ok?
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 
Xeek

It's extremely common to feed them blood worms. It's usually recommended to not do it too often. You could feed them blood worms every other day if they have sufficient fiber on the off days, but they'l just get chubby! Maybe 1 or 2 times a week would be good. Frozen brine shrimp is even better, it has fiber and protein.

ADFs are commonly fed blood worms as a pretty normal diet. I would be worried if I had ADFs with my sorority, my bettas tend to pick on anyone in the tank that can't get away or doesn't have sufficient protection. Tank mates I have are ghost shrimp (hard for bettas to see, can move fast if they need to if the tank has sufficient room), Corys (armored and has mild poisen, mine aren't afraid of the bettas at all and bump into them occasionaly. My bettas have learned to leave them alone), Nerite snails (only a few of my bettas tried to bug them in the past, but they're so well armored it's useless). Dwarf frogs are very slow and shy.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 
DamanDhillon

Yup, bettas love bloodworms. Feed them only as a treat though and get a good pellet brand for the bettas main diet. I feed Betta Bio-Gold and freeze dried bloodworms as a treat :)
DamanDhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #4 
Xeek

They'll enjoy the frozen/thawed blood worms more than the freeze dried, but they do enjoy both more then betta pellets. It's like desert to them.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #5 
Elliriyanna

I feed him omega one pellets. he has a very good diet.

I would do frozen brine shrimp but its so much better for me to just have to buy one frozen food for everyone.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #6 
Xeek

Your frogs will enjoy brine shrimp as well... This is even better then blood worms and if you do brine shrimp just skip the blood worms all together. Brine shrimp has fiber that bettas need. My bettas enjoy brine shrimp almost as much as blood worms.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #7 
Elliriyanna

Well I guess I could possibly switch my other tank over to brine shrimp as well ... Its just a local pet store is having a buy one get one on frozen bloodworms so i was hoping that would be fine with everyone
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #8 
Xeek

by all means if there is a sale get the worms. You can buy the shrimp next time
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #9 
Elliriyanna

Its 2 8 oz packages for $10 ... I cant pass that up lol
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #10 
logisticsguy

Hikari brand is very good bloodworms. Also it is better to thaw at room temp takes a little longer than hot water and always a good idea to rinse bloodworms with fine net cuz the soup is high in phosphates.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote