Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #1 
akhaltekelover73

Betta fish losing colour and frayed fins

I have a male crowntail betta who has lost color on his head, back, dorsal fin and his belly area. I have had him for about 4 or 5 months, not sure if he is sick or just has the marble gene. I will try to add some pictures.
Attached Images

akhaltekelover73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #2 
akhaltekelover73

Oh sorry he might be a halfmoon betta
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Please answer these questions:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #4 
xShainax

Wow, his tank is dirty. Does he have a heater in there even?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 
akhaltekelover73

tank size 1 gallon, room temperature, no filter or air pump, not heated, lives alone, color enhancing flakes, fed once every few days, perform water change about once a week, usually change between 25-50% with water changes and add water conditioner (prime) and cycle (helps with good bacteria), haven't tested water, don't have test strips but may take water sample to pet store to be tested tomorrow. color has faded and turned white, sort of flesh coloured, looks like sore on top of head when i did water change, no behavioral changes that i have noticed, first noticed symptoms about 2 weeks ago but didn't think much of it at the time. haven't started treating him yet, have bettafix i can treat him with but not sure how to treat him yet. seems to be healthy up until now. about 4 or 5 months i have had him for. note: it only looks dirty because there is some mild algae growth on the side of his tank.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #6 
xShainax

He needs a heater. They are tropical fish
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Don't treat him with anything yet. For now you should get a heater for him since Betta's are tropical and don't do well in room temperature as they are marketed. Marina has a small one for about 14 dollars at PetSmart.

Are you use that is a 1 gallon? Looks more like a half gallon to me. Either way, at the next time you do your water change, try to get him out into a small container (one that has not seen soap in it's life) and do a 100% water change. Rinse the gravel with hot tap water and rub out that algae in there but DO NOT USE SOAP by any means, please. It is toxic to fish and he will die. So just rub it with your fingers and rinse out with hot tap water.

Also if you have the funds, it would be better to switch him over to pellet foods like Omega One Betta Pellets or New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets, even Hikari Betta pellets will be good. You can feed him pellets (he can eat up to 5 in a day) and then some flakes on the other days. You can also fast him for one day (don't feed him) in the week so that he won't get bloated or constipated.

Also if you can, I know not all of us have the funds, but if you go to walmart they have some nice 1 gallon and 1.5 gallon tanks that usually come with a Tetra Whisper 3i filter for about 20 bucks. I would upgrade him so you don't have to do 100% changes all the time and it would give him a light. Betta's don't like to be left in the dark all the time, so if you give him some light during the day and shut it off for him at night, he'll be much happier.

And then you'll just need a heater. To me it just looks like he's stressed out, if you provide him with what I've suggested above he'll be much happier and regain his color! :) I hope this helps
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote