Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #1 
megan6o6

Unhappy Fin rot :(

Hey guys,

My little buddy, Finn-a Dragon Scale Crown Tail male betta has gotten fin rot.
Well, i believe that's what it is. On his tail one of the sections
(hard to describe but he has a long tail with sections to it, ill attach a picture after this) started to turn black a couple days ago, other than that he seems perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure it is fin rot because it looked just like pictures i have seen of other fish with the same issue. So yesterday, I did a 100% water change and washed all of the "toys" in the tank with hot water and same with the rocks.

Then this morning i checked on him after i woke up and the black seems to have progressed. And there was white floaty stuff on his front fins. I have never seen this before, but others online said it is nothing?

I just did another 50% water change and the white is gone thankfully.

With every water change i use TopFin Water Conditioner and Bacteria Supplement. And his tank is a 2.5 glass tank, with a heater and new filter.

I dont know if i should stop using the bacteria supplement for now? but i dont want him to be missing out on important nutrients/things he needs to recover. And ive read so many different things on the internet about how to treat this fin rot, so im confused to say the least.

Tomorrow i will be able to get some salt and maybe Betta Fix- if it'll help.

Basically, everyday until he seems to get better i will do a 50% ish water change and continue to add the salt (but not more than 10 days) and hopefully he will recover.

Please, if you have any experience or can help that'd be great!
I love my little guys fins, i dont want them to go away!

I thought i should add: i keep the water at 80Degrees, regularily change the water once a week, or twice if its looking icky. i used to have live plants untilt heis past week cause they kept creating a film on the top layer of water, then there was a bacteria bloom within a day or two, which i left for about 2 days before i saw the black fin- which im sure is what caused the rot, but i read to let it settle itself out, apparently wasnt a good idea for my little dude!

On the photo you can see the black and how it looks! sorry about the blurry/bad quality.
Attached Images

Last edited by megan6o6; 04-18-2013 at 10:10 AM.
megan6o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #2 
Fifi

Yes, the black probably is fin rot. I would star conservatively using salt. 1tsp/gal. Premix into some tank water before adding to tank. When doing water changes remember to ONlY add 1tsp/gal into the water you are replacing. Salt remains in the water & will build up if you keep adding full doses with partial water changes. Bettafix is a debated product. Some bettas react badly, some do great, same w/Melafix(it has the same ingredients just at a stronger strength). Research whether it can be used with salt before combining if you plan on using it. Watch him carefully looking for any signs of distress. If the salt or Bettafix doesn't work, give him a rest of a week or so before trying anything new unless the rot seems really aggressive. I have been battling fin rot for ever. Nothing seems to work for my betta, but he seems happy & active. Oh, how much do you feed him, he looks pretty big? Maybe it is just the picture.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #3 
megan6o6

haha! i tried to zoom in using my iphone. he isnt too big! but i admit sometimes over feed him, like i give him 4-5 pellets throughout the day, but then i usually wont feed him for a couple days until his belly gets smaller. But, he isnt constipated! haha i watch for that
megan6o6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, black, fin, fin rot, rot