Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Cured case of dropsy? :O

Never thought I would see this. So I had a fungal infection going around the sosority and it wasn't bad so I upped water changes and added a little extra food (thermometer is broken so I don't feel comfortable changing the temp) and all was good, 2 girls seemed to have it in the gills so I took them out and treated with epsom salt (both are improving) and this one girl, had her as long as Pog (used to be Pog's "lover" through the glass) out of nowhere pineconed. I didn't want to get my hopes up and all my hospital jars were taken for more important things than a fish that was sure to die, so I used a breeder box and put her in, upped her feeding and replaced color enhancers with the more nutritional (I only use color enhancing ones for changing stuff up anyway, but the crisps come all mixed but I never had prolems with taking out the color enhancing ones for sick fish) she got worse and I didn't want to get my hopes up but I didn't want her to suffer so I kinda.. overdosed her on the emsom salt in her food. I put crisps in with some water and epsom salt and dried it out till the epsom salt basically crystallized in the food. She was going to die anyway, might as well have tried it. A week went by and she didn't get any worse. Still didn't get my hopes up (and I only fed hr to epsom food twice she's been on normal food) then she managed to hop out when the box went a little low, it didn't matter, she seemed to want out anyway, so I let her stay out for a few days, she needed to do her alpha-ing anyway. well I also noticed that over THIS past week, she went from pineconed and bloated, to barely bloated. She is swimming, eating, and pooping normally, and I let her back in the tank. Could it really be a cured case? (Not lookign for treatment advice, just thought I would share)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

Interested to see what people think so I am bumping.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #3 
veggiegirl

hmmm so her scales aren't sticking out anymore? I had a giant male that appeared to have dropsy, all his scales on his belly region had pine coned and he seemed unwell but over a few weeks they went back down and he seemed happier. However it was a viscous cycle cause a few weeks later they were back up again, then down, then up. After a few months he got a bad case and died :(

I also had a yellow crowntail male that got dropsy, I used amoxyll/penicillin tablets crushed to treat him. It seemed to help, after a treatment his scales would go down and he would seem happy again but it would only be a couple of weeks before his scales would be back up and he would need treating again. His treatments ended up being less frequent and he seemed to be cured but he died on Christmas day six months later from an unrelated illness.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #4 
SpookyTooth

Very interesting. My betta, Red, has had a rather large belly and was pineconed, albeit it not majorly, a couple of days ago. He was laying on the bottom of his aquarium not doing much of anything, not swimming much and not interested in me. Put him in quarantine with epsom salts and started feeding him garlic soaked pellets; yesterday his scales were worse but today they're almost smooth, his bloating is minimal and he's wiggling like a mad-fish when he sees me.

As far as I know, dropsy as a symptom can be treated, it's just by the time the symptoms it's usually a bit beyond treatment.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #5 
caissacrowntails

based on what happened to my fishes before...I got 2 dropsy cases..down to pineconed cured...but they were never the same after they look "normal" again..I guess it's somehow made them much weaker, and both eventually didn't live longer either..also heard from some other breeders that once a fish caught dropsy..then it's practically "un-breed-able" ( I never had a chance to try breeding one ).
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

Wow, I never thought dropsy was so treatable, I thought multiple organ failure was a once in a life time thing to see cured, if you even saw it, especially with the minimal work I put in. I'll keep a close eye on her but idk if I can get my hands on meds my LFS sucks >_<

Could something other than that be causing dropsy?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Could something other than that be causing dropsy?
Supposedly a bad case of internal parasites can cause pineconning.

Remember that one girl I had, she was pineconned for a few months and acted normal till she passed away...

What are these crisps you are taling about and how did you feed her epsom salt?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-10-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #8 
Pogthefish

tetramin tropical crisps (they are different than flakes cuz they are thicker and round) I just put some water and epsom salt in a teaspoon and let the water evaporate so that the salt crystalized onto the flakes and then I fed that to her, so you could say I overdosed her on epsom :P
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 
Sakura8

While I don't think I'd recommend that course of action to everyone until some research can be done on its possible side effects, it does seem to show some promise.

I'm really glad she got better, Pog. Hurray!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #10 
Pogthefish

Yeah I wasn't thinking of doing it again but I thought of anyone was interested they would want to know and I will be definitely looking into it. By the way, the girl is a little more bloated than before in hoping it doesn't get worse :/