Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you have Kanaplex? (It's an antibiotic, but unfortunately, most petstores don't carry it. People generally buy it online.)

If you don't have Kanaplex (and most people don't), I would use either API Furan 2 or Jungle Fungus Clear. Both contain the same two furan antibiotics, which treat a wide range of gram negative bacteria.

Do not cut his fins. If it is something like Mycobacteriosis, the fin issue is a late-occurring symptom of the disease. By the time it occurs, the internal organs have already been infected. Removing the fins will not affect the progression..... And if it is not Myco, it is probably a gram negative bacterial infection, which Furan 2 or Jungle Fungus Clear may be effective in treating.

API Furan 2 is available at Petsmart. Jungle Fungus Clear is at Walmart.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-09-2013 at 10:49 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #12 
Jexx

i'm not going to cut him. I will go to pets mart first thing in the morning! the only thing they had at pets mart was this life guard and that ich away thing. the funny thing is, as bad as his tail looks, he is swimming around exploring the hospital tank like nothing is wrong. he's just put out that he can't see esmeralda and doesn't have any of his things. when he was in the cup acclimating, there were beads of blood coming off of his tail. its so awful :'(
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #13 
Jexx

if it is finrot (which i hope to GOD it is) I just don't understand how he got it :( if it isn't, is it possible that the disease has been passed to my other 2 fish? one is a red vt and the other is a pk
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #14 
Blue Fish

It is possible that it was transmitted to the other two, but you won't know for sure until they either show symptoms, or don't...and I'm not sure how long the possible incubation period is. :(

By the time it shows up in their fins, it's been there for awhile, which means that if you shared *anything* between tanks (water change vacuums, cups, even just your hands) then the others have the possibility of having been exposed to it. I hate hate hate to give you such awful news like that, but it's best to be informed.

But, now that you know he's got a problem, definitely give him a strict QT, because if it is the graphite disease, I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly how to fully disinfect for it. If it was me, I'd toss out anything that was with him, or barring that, treat it the way people do to sterilize after myco outbreaks (which may be what the graphite disease is, last I read there was still debate/questions).

I'm so SOO sorry for you, and I hope it's nothing horrible and that he gets better. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #15 
Jexx

how to ppl sterilize after myco?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

If it is Myco.....

Bleach does NOT kill it.
Boiling water kills it.
UV light kills it.
Hospital-strength Lysol kills it.
Soaking for several hours in 70% or higher alcohol solution kills it (but clean it first to remove any organic material).

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-09-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #17 
Jexx

I can do boiling water. That is easy. how soon will I know?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

You said he is swimming around and exploring..... This is not how they usually behave in the final stages of Myco. Hopefully, he just picked up an infection that can be treated with a good antibiotic.

But to answer your question, from what I've read on the threads here, fish in the final stages of Mycobacteriosis (which is when the fins start to turn gray), usually don't survive more than a day or two.

Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure whether they have Myco is via lab analysis after death.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-09-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #19 
tngirl92

If I had any suspicion of Myco and my other bettas had been exposed, I would immediately begin treating them as if they had a serious bacterial infection with the strongest medication my pet store carries. This probably sounds extreme and I expect it will be controversial. I have not yet dealt with this disease, but my CT boy has recently been really sick with something else. I suspected for a while that it could be this, so I have read about it extensively. From what I have read, if you keep your fish in the same tank, it will spread like wildfire. If you net them with the same nets, it will spread. If you put your hand from one tank to another without washing, it could spread. What we DON'T know is whether or not it is treatable in the early stages, likely because no one has ever treated in the earliest period of infection because they can't see any signs of it until it is too late. If your fish with the suspicious symptoms begin to get worse, I believe I would personally begin treating the other two aggressively to try to knock out any contamination before it is too late. So sorry to hear about your sick fish, I hope he only has fin rot!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #20 
LittleBlueFishlets

Actually, Mycobacterial infections in fish are a common problem, and have been studied extensively.

It is not considered "treatable." However, if you only have one (or several) fish, then I, personally, would suggest trying to treat it, since there is no way of knowing whether it's Myco or something else. Lab analysis is the only way to know for sure if Myco is present..... If you are a breeder, then I feel it's worth obtaining a lab analysis, as Basement Bettas and Coppermoon did.

Here is an excellent article about it: https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/even...factsheet/231/

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.