Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #21 
Jexx

I am not a breeder. My 3 bettas are simply loved pets. They all have separate tanks but I used the same syphon on all 3. I also seeded my new tank with media from the other 2 tanks :'( I will be getting furan II hopefully tomorrow morning. I only have one hospital tank though. I can treat the other two in their normal tanks? Also, if they don't have anything wrong with them and I give them medicine, will it hurt them?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #22 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you are concerned about your other fish, I guess you can treat them all with the Furan 2. (The instructions give info on treating the tank, and many fishkeepers have community tanks.)

A few months ago, I rescued a fish that may have had Myco. The disease progression was very fast. I would have tried to treat it, but there wasn't time. I did not treat my other fish, who are all in separate tanks. And they did not become ill. But I did watch them closely for a long time. So I understand if you want to treat the others as a preventative measure.

Another option may be to just treat the one sick fish, and see if he responds to the Furan 2. If he does, you can then decide whether to use it on your others as a preventative measure, or just use it if they become sick too.... And if it's not effective on your sick fish, then you won't have subjected your other fish to a harsh medication unneccesarily.

Good luck! I hope it works!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #23 
Jexx

Thank you. That sounds like sound advice. I am hesitant to treat with strong medicine if no symptoms are present. I will treat Galileo only and go from there. Definitely will not be sharing his supplies however. The other 2 look perfectly fine for now but, we know how that can go. Thank you all for the support. I love Galileo so much, he was my first. I hope he makes it!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #24 
Tikibirds

Good Luck but usually once they started showing grey fins, they are usually gone in 24 hours
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #25 
jadaBlu

I am really sorry to see this. I don't have experience with the Mystery disease. If it's the mycobacterium I read an article that says:
Fish can be treated with the same drugs as humans get when they become infected by Mycobacterium marinum, e.g. Kanamycin. Since this is a very resilient microbe, normal treatment involves administering at least two different medications over the course of at least three months." It also says salt doesn't help and increasing the temperature makes it spread.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/tbc.php

Read the mystery thread and look at the pictures. Also you may want to search the emergency forum for Dr. Seuss. There is a member who started treating her fish with natural remedies when others failed. I did find one other article about this but I'd have to PM it to you because it's on another forum.

Edit found the Dr. Suess link:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=JadaBlu

Last edited by jadaBlu; 04-10-2013 at 12:29 AM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #26 
Jexx

please, I would be open to any information you have. I have some hope that it is not myco or mystery disease because of how he is acting but if it is, i'd like to be well prepared.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #27 
Tikibirds

Check out this thread too
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....highlight=myco

I have heard that Kannaplex may work but its not usually avalible in stores, only online. Coopermoon had it and he/she would be able to tell you how to proceed. or you can try PMing Sakura8

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Jexx, has the gray progressed at all since we last talked? If it hasn't, you are probably in the clear. With the so-called mystery disease, the gray progresses rapidly; it can literally cover the entire tail fin in a matter of hours. If the spot hasn't gotten any bigger, then you have a bit of fin rot. AQ salt for now but if that doesn't help, try one of the meds LittleBlue suggested; Furan-2 is one of the better meds for fin rot. However, I have noticed it is becoming harder to find so suitable substitutes are the Jungle Fungus Clear, which also contains the antibiotic nitrofurazone but may be hard to dose in small tanks; or API Triple Sulfa if you are not allergic to sulfa medications.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Sakura - Jexx said the fish is still active. This makes me think it isn't the final stages of Myco, but maybe some other kind of aggressive bacterial infection.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #30 
Sakura8

Based on that info, agreed. I think you are in the clear for the mystery disease, Jexx.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote