Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #1 
Shortie55505

Back to ask more questions.

So today is the day i go out and buy Blue (my Betta) a new tank. right now he's in one of those tiny lil bowls. and like many uninformed people i thought that was a good home for him. i have been told otherwise thanks to this forum. so this is the question, how big? I was looking at a nice 10gal. what do you think? oh, and a heater? I've been have a hard time keeping Blue's water temp regulated. Are there any spec's i need to know before buying a heater?
Thanks in advance!
Shortie55505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #2 
It'sJames

Don't forget a glass thermometer! You'll definatly need it - and they're more accurate than the stick on strips. Ebo jager heaters are great. Don't skimp on a heater. Pay the few extra bucks and get a good one, otherwise you could end up frying, or freezing, your fish. Oh, and 5 watts per gallon of course.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

A ten gallon would be more than sufficient for a single betta. With a ten gallon, you could add other fish to the tank as well, such as a shoal of pygmy cories. The betta will definitely appreciate the extra room to swim around.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #4 
stephenmontero

10 gallons for u betta will be great he will e so much happier just remember 5 watts per gallon and u will have a nice and warm tank
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #5 
Meatpuppet

plants hiding spots etc are great. and dont forget to cycle that new tank too
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Betta would probably be better off in the new tank and could live through the cycle but don't try putting anything else in with him until it's established especially if you'll be getting cories. They will not do well in an unestablished aquarium.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #7 
Ariel

If you want any plants i heard that java fern is good and it is really easy. It doesnt need much light. Also, bettas like java moss as well.
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #8 
iamntbatman

Like Ariel said, both java fern and java moss are great to have, plus they're incredibly easy to care for. I'm also a big fan of hornwort. You can buy one small plant and float it at the top of the water and you'll quickly have a nice growth. Bettas like the shade of floating plant cover. Watersprite also works well for this, but I haven't ever owned any myself.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote