Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #11 
kimt

I rescued a baby betta from petco today...I hope he makes it I found a cup so dirty, I could not tell the color of the dead betta floating in it. I just took it to the back and placed it on the sink area. I should have gotten a picture of it as I want to email petco about their betta care. There is a guy there who seems like he just doesn't give a crap. I was in there one day and informed him that several cups were way too full...like all the way to the top and he was like no problem. Next day, I went in to check and sure enough these poor bettas were trying to get air out of the tiny pocket where they drop food in.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #12 
MoonShadow

I sent 2 very long emails to petco today (because everything would not fit in one) with lots of facts and documentation of what I have found in their stores. Still waiting patiently for a response
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #13 
JadeAngel

Oh... My... GOD!

I just got off the phone with the assistant manager of the store. And I am thorougly angry.

Before he called he decided I was in the wrong and he wouldn't take it. He asked what my concern was, and I told him. The entire time he just kept repeating how well they take care of their animals, how the cups are cleaned regularly etc. He said he found no grounds for my complaints.

OOOOOOOOOOh... You know, i haaate confrontation. But to have the audacity to talk to me as though I'm so oversensitive peta brat!?

I said "My complaint is mostly about the bettas, because I don't know too much about other fish and I don't dwell on their tanks"
He said "I don't know if you know anything about bettas... but they're fine in those cups"
"My complaint wasn't about their cup size... and yeah, I know about bettas. I've raised bettas my whole LIFE! I have been raising them in 5 gallon cycled and heated tanks for the last couple of years and have 4 male bettas at the moment. I understand full well that you don't have the space to accomodate bigger betta cups, and even though you encourage those cruelly small betta bowls, that has nothing to do with my complaint. I am also fully aware that you can't have dozens of bettas without any of them being ill. That's all fine. But the amount of bettas that were ill, either severely thin, with bad fin rot, missing half it's tail or pectoral fins, or with ammonia burns or swim bladder disease is just inexcusable!"

"well, next time just come to management instead of going over us"

"excuse me!? I went to your employees on 2 seperate occassions about extremely ill bettas, one of which was a small female whose entire body was covered in a fungus ball as large as she was from head to tail. Both times the employees shrugged it off as not their responsibilities"

"well, you should have gone to management. I am also a customer here, and if I ask for management, they get them"

"No duh, you ARE a manager! I am complaining to the store because the employees would not get a manager and I don't have all day to go around searching for one! Let me ask you something... do you medicate your bettas when they get sick?"

"yes"

"ok... most medications stain the water a different color, why is it that their water is never stained when they are sick"

"we quarantine them"

"if you quarantine them... why are there so many ON THE RACK that are not only sick, but progressively so. It takes days to get as bad as many of them are"

"I want to know what I can do for you to make this better"

"just have your employees take care of the bettas!"

"if you go to a manager, they will have it taken care of"

"I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO! The employees in that department should be just doing their job!"

"well, we just had an inspection and passed everything with good quality"

"yeah... because inspections are so wonderful about aquatic life that there are no petitions out there to improve national standards and inspection standards for pet store's care of aquatic creatures.... oh.... wait... there are countless!"

"well next time come straight to a manager instead of going above us. The moral of.... I mean... I'm sorry, but I just don't see any grounds for this complaint. So just come to the manager next time"

"..... if I go in, and there are bettas that are ill, and I go straight to a manager, IN THAT MOMENT the manager will have the employee take the betta off the shelf and take care of it?"

"yes"

"what's your name"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh my god I am soooo angry right now!!!

That was almost word for word as I literally just hung up the phone. Oh, yeah... I also had ordered something on ebay, and it took a long time shipping and wasn't marked as shipped. He's only a few states over, so my hubby wrote him asking what's going on and if he had a tracking number. He wrote back saying he'd give a refund if i wanted but that if it arrived he'd hope we would make something going on and not pay him, but that "we don't use tracking numbers" sure enough I got the package later in the day, and wrote to him that the sticker on the enveloped labled "TRACKING NUMBER" was a tracking number, and advised that next time he mark it as shipped at the very least, because he had us concerned and that's the only reason my husband wrote to him. Well, his response was extremely condescending and rude. He tried to use proper english vocabulary, but the genius is doing this to an ex ESL teacher and language nut. His attempt to look educated failed in that his grammar was well below the level of the vocabulary he was using. Well, whatever... people are rude when someone makes a suggestion they don't like. Then he made an inappropriate intimate adult comment.

I was JUST calling ebay to file a complaint, when I got the call from the guy at petco.

I told the petco guy I'm sorry I didn't have photos, but I didn't have my camera with me that day. But I assured him I would remember my camera and take photos to show the world if I came in and it was THAT bad again.

And when I told him that even WALMART had clean cups with no sick bettas last time I went in there, he scoffed in a manner of sarcastic disbelief "ha, which walmart do YOU go to" "actually... I live between the 2 cities, so there's 3. But I frequent our local walmart and the wilkes barre one. The last time I went to the wilkes barre walmart 2 days ago, they only had a dozen bettas, and all were perfectly healthy and in clean cups. I went to the local walmart today and they also were all healthy out of 2 dozen or so"

Ok... I'm so upset and angry right now. His call was NOT to appologize if they were in poor condition the day I came in, but to talk to me like I was some trouble making paranoid nut!

Oh yeah, when I asked him what kinds of medicine he had available for treatment for the bettas, he couldn't answer that.

Last edited by JadeAngel; 04-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #14 
JadeAngel

My complaint about bettas just turned into a complaint about the assistant manager.

And seriously.... asking me if I know about bettas when my complaint was detailed about the bettas themselves (he probably didn't read it). Doubtlessly I know more than HIM, and I'm still rather uneducated next to some people in this forum -.-

Last edited by JadeAngel; 04-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #15 
JadeAngel

I called their customer service and told them what happened. The woman was very empathetic and nice about it. She appologized for him, and said she would file everything possible to take care of it. But I told her I don't want any more calls about it.

I have problems with anxiety and have had a really hard year, so I just don't need anymore stress and wanted to leave it at that. I told her the only thing in the world I want, and have wanted since the beginning, is to bring it to their attention that the bettas needed more frequent water changes to avoid them getting so sick like that. Once their sick, they are sick. But you can prevent it all together by just changing the water in those little cups more often.

What's so hard to get about that concept!?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #16 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
My complaint about bettas just turned into a complaint about the assistant manager.

And seriously.... asking me if I know about bettas when my complaint was detailed about the bettas themselves (he probably didn't read it). Doubtlessly I know more than HIM, and I'm still rather uneducated next to some people in this forum -.-
Trust me, they CARE about what corporate will think, that's why this guy didn't want you to go over his head, he'd get into trouble! Get the store number (not the phone number, each store has a number) and then call or write to Petco corporate.

http://www.corporateofficeheadquarte...dquarters.html
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #17 
ZubinBetta

Bureaucracies of bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
I called their customer service and told them what happened. The woman was very empathetic and nice about it. She appologized for him, and said she would file everything possible to take care of it. But I told her I don't want any more calls about it.

I have problems with anxiety and have had a really hard year, so I just don't need anymore stress and wanted to leave it at that. I told her the only thing in the world I want, and have wanted since the beginning, is to bring it to their attention that the bettas needed more frequent water changes to avoid them getting so sick like that. Once their sick, they are sick. But you can prevent it all together by just changing the water in those little cups more often.

What's so hard to get about that concept!?
JadeAngel, it's great you finally got through to someone who would listen. IMO it's worth trusting the woman you talked to, to put out a memo(?) and alert store workers to do more for the bettas. For your own well-being, you may wish to stay away from that store for a while: If they do not implement changes, seeing this will only upset you in a way that's self-destructive (and besides does nothing for the bettas). I think it's pretty easy to see why nothing happens with folks in charge like that assistant manager you talked to. Everything has to go through a committee, and word from higher-ups has to get translated into the physical activity of actually handling those little cups and changing the water in them, the concept of which is entirely foreign to the higher-ups (and here I betray my own chauvinism) who deal only in memos and memos about memos ad infinitum. You are brave to have taken on PetCo, but you do not have to sacrifice your well-being to this cause. You and the cause will both suffer for it. You have brought the matter to their attention, and that in itself is great progress.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #18 
Snoeflayke

Bravo to you, JadeAngel! You did wonderfully! Now is the time to breathe, take some time with your own fish, and remember the steps you took to help the betta already.

As another life-long social anxiety sufferer, I know how hard it can be to break that barrier and confront someone. I agree that it will likely take some time to see results, but you got that ball rolling.

Internet high-fives, pats on the back, and all that!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #19 
JadeAngel

Thanks guys :)

This morning I woke up to a phone call. I had my husband answer because I didn't recognize the number and I REALLY did not want to have to deal with the assistant manager again if it was him.

Turned out it was the DISTRICT manager. Well, I figured him I'd talk to. He was extremely professional and polite. He was very concerned about the way the assistant manager dealt with the issue at hand, and assured me he'd reinforce their quality expectations for the Bettas and for the behavior of their staff. He was very apologetic, and nice about the whole thing. That really did ease my stress a lot.

I was feeling extremely attacked yesterday, as I had to deal with that condscending manager, and literally within minutes had to deal with an ebay seller who was being so demeaning and rude, that I ended up reporting him for misconduct of an adult nature. In the end, the ebay seller is going to get disciplinary action from ebay, and the district manager is going to handle the Petco situation. I was so tense yesterday I was ready to fight anyone I spoke to, so I avoided the internet and talking to people until I got my husband at 1am from his new job.

Today is much better as both of those arrogant men are going to get some kind of consequence for their inexcusable behavior. I can breathe again!

Oh, I really hope this achieved something and that there will at least be some improvement in the health of their Bettas :)

Last edited by JadeAngel; 04-12-2013 at 04:10 PM.