Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #11 
Ariel

how much room do they need? Could i put one alone in a 2.5 gal?
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #12 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
how much room do they need? Could i put one alone in a 2.5 gal?
You can, but it needs to be filtered. However, these frogs should have company with at least one other ADF. And, you would need to feed them live food (blackworms) so they get their proper nutrition. I would say a 5G filtered would be best.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #13 
Ariel

oh okay. I have an empty unfiltered 2.5 gal tank. I am planning to buy a filter. I just wanted to see all of my options. Thanks :)
Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #14 
Zambize

Re: African dwarf frog?

I have an ADF in a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon would be better, I'd say 3 gallon is minimum. I also agree that they are social and are best with some of their own kind. They like to pile on top of each other in little crevices or caves.

They can live with Bettas but I don't recommend it. The frog is kind of jerky with rapid and unpredictable movements, quite the opposite of the Betta. These frogs are tiny and certainly can't eat a Betta.

They would like live food but are lousy hunters with their poor eyesight and do well with frozen food placed in a flat plate with a turkey baster. He'll find it eventually. They will gorge and adults should be fed every other day conservative amounts, but every day while a juvenile.

Remember that they must surface frequently for air so it is important that their tank be shorter than taller. They really aren't great swimmers and need to reach the surface with ease in regards to the height and current.

Mine are quite messy, in my opinion. They tend to find almost all of their food and eat it, but they are poopy and will require weekly partial water changes.

I keep only males to avoid having tadpoles appear in my tank. If you are patient you'll find some mature males in a fish store. At maturity they will have a visible white (or some say red but I've never seen it) spot about the diameter of pencil lead just behind the front leg. Get mature ones, it's ok, they are still only months old. At maturity their body is about the diameter of a quarter.

Their legs are extremely fragile so it is critical that you use small diameter substrate that will not trap their legs between rocks and avoid any decor that may shift, even the slightest, and trap their legs. If stuck, they will drown quickly. If they break a delicate leg they will die even if you try to help them. I've tried.

They are really fun to watch, silly little guys, but they are nocturnal and will provide you with the most entertainment at night in dim light. Mine recognizes me now. :)
Zambize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #15 
Ariel

Wow! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #16 
okiemavis

They are also notorious for jumping out of their tanks, so you'll want a well fitting top with no holes. The main problem with keeping them in a community tank is that they are such slow eaters. All the other fish will eat the food before it gets any and he will slowly starve to death. This isn't always the case, just the extreme, but it takes a lot of practice to be able to tell a skinny frog from a fat one and many other things.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #17 
It'sJames

Ya, I've had a hard time keeping ADFs in community tanks before becuase of that. The little guys just can't eat quick enough.

I didn't know they were known to be escape artists. I've always had mine in easy-to-escape-from tanks... maybe I should cover them before the frogs get wise on me.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #18 
Ariel

Okay cool. What do they eat?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #19 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
Okay cool. What do they eat?
Live Bloodworms are a favorite. Best for them too.

They may go for sinking shrimp pellets and occasionally flake, but live food, and maybe frozen, is best for their health.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #20 
Ariel

Cool. I looked up some pictures and they are really cute.