Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Fish stressing in larger tanks? :/

So this is pretty weird for me. I got a new fish two weeks ago to go into my 10g, since the previous betta passed away. Said fish didn't pass inside of the tank-- he got a bit sick so I QT'd him, and he wound up passing in his QT cup after two weeks. I went to petco to shop for another male, and brought a cute halfmoon who seemed perky and alert in his cup. He was a bit stressed on the ride home, I floated him in the 10g like normal, acclimated him to the water over 2 hours and uncupped him.

Didn't see him for pretty much a week. I've had scared bettas before though so I figured he'd warm up. I finally got worried, and found him hiding in the back of the tank. I decided to pull out my 2.5 gal and set that up with gravel, a little cave, a floating betta log, and a plant-- ie tons of cover, and put that in a quiet spot where I could see it without getting close. He ate in that tank, but just hung in the corner all week, clamped and stressed and getting pale every day when I fed him.

Today I put a little AQ salt in a cup and cupped him, because after my feeding he was so scared he just laid at the bottom of the tank gasping. He seems much more perky now-- he's colored back up and is watching me, though he's still clamped a bit. I'm not sure if he's sick or if he's just stressed-- anyone every had a fish that was actually scared of a big space? :/
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 
registereduser

Yes. I put a fast swimming plakat type in a 20 gallon (from a 5 gallon) and he just wasn't happy. He got worse when I added 8 neons who all died within a week. Got clamped and started floating on his side. So I put him in a 6 gallon after QTing him with some IAL and he lived another 6 months in a happier state. On the other hand I put one in a 29 gallon and he's happy as a clam! They have such unique personalities!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #3 
elijahfeathers

I may have to return him if he doesn't take to at least the 2.5. I can't heat something so tiny and I don't want to flat his cup in a bigger tanks all the time. I hope he'll relax for me some. :c He's a real cutie.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #4 
EvilVOG

Had a female that did that to me. Tried putting her in the 20g a few times, she just wouldn't go for it, but she loved the 1g.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #5 
Catw0man

I've had the odd betta who just didn't like much space....it's strange when it happens....most bettas get so excited to find themselves with more living area and it's a real joy to watch them, but it just freaks some out too!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

I think I am having this problem with my crowntail Curly I just moved him to a 2 gallon sterilite container (until my aquarium cycles) and he is staying pale. He really was happy in a 1 gallon critter container. Have you tried a 1 gallon? I know it's desirable to heat but Curly was without a heater in a warm room. If you take him back he probably will just end up dead. You could keep him in a one gallon. He will live longer with you than at the pet store. You could just go get another fish for the bigger tank. BTW it's taken 2 weeks for some fish I have to become freindly.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 
Xeek

Space is fine, but what's in that space? If you put him in a 5 gallon with nothing but a filter, heater, and substrate he's going to feel like he is out in the open field with no where to go! If the tank has sufficient cover for him to feel comfortable then size is not a problem.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #8 
BulletToothBoris

Weird. My betta loves his space.
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #9 
shellieca

I had a CT that played dead, literally, when I transfered him from his cup to a 1g, I'd put him back into the cup & he'd be fine, back into the 1g, within 24hrs he was floating like he was dead. I did the switch 3 or 4 times before he finally quit playing dead. Then months later he was moved to a 10g & never batted an eyelash. It was very odd, I've never had one since behave like that.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #10 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I had a CT that played dead, literally, when I transfered him from his cup to a 1g, I'd put him back into the cup & he'd be fine, back into the 1g, within 24hrs he was floating like he was dead. I did the switch 3 or 4 times before he finally quit playing dead. Then months later he was moved to a 10g & never batted an eyelash. It was very odd, I've never had one since behave like that.
He was so happy to get the extra space that he fainted.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote