Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #1 
HappyTurtle

African Dwarf Frogs?

I'm considering getting an ADF to keep my betta company because I heard they do well together and little frogs are cute. Anyone have any positive/negative experiences to share? How can you tell if your betta is likely to accept a tank mate?
HappyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

i never had them myself but i found this link , i think it old link so wait for more help from other people also
http:www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84033
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #3 
BulletToothBoris

I almost got one then I read that feeding them can be a lot of work. Your betta will accept a ADF because they look nothing like bettas but your betta will also accept the frog's food. Just read about feeding them then decide if you want to put that much time in everyday.
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #4 
jasperandecho

Mine was too aggressive. And was picking on my frog so I took him out. They take effort to feed as another user said. You have to scoop him up and feed him in the net still in the water to get the betta and frog seperated for feeding to make sure the frogs getting food. I've also heard some cases of frogs biting bettas tails an d mistaking them for food. (Shiny). I wouldn't try it unless you have at least a five gallon. But it's safer for a ten, be prepared to have a plan b just in case. I was going to return my frog because he didn't work out but I fell in love with him! He's so sweet I love them. My betta was even aggressive with my snail though so I gave e snail away. It really depends on the tolerance of each animal as well as their environment and surplus of hiding places.
jasperandecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #5 
HappyTurtle

Maybe I'll start with a snail... Do they get on okay with mystery snails? If it fails I'll add him to my goldy community, there's room for one more snail.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #6 
jasperandecho

HappyTurtle: perfect yes try a larger mystery snail because they can sometimes eat the snail in its shell if its a baby. If he does well with the snail I would go bigger and get ghost shrimp or maybe a frog. And if he's constantly nipping at the snail and flaring then put him in. Your goldfish tank and he will keep it nice and clean!
jasperandecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #7 
JadeAngel

Every tank mate has the potential to get fight with the betta. I had bettas most of my life, and they aaaaalways had 2 african dwarf frogs in the tank with them.

Most of the frogs were great, a couple of them would play "let's chase each other" with the the betta (it was 2 ways, not just 1) and the one I have now gets along great with her. I got a 2nd, but she kept showing up with welts on her side. I thought my betta was picking on her, but I started catching the FROG antagonizing the betta. I had to get her a new home, and the lady who adopted the frog told me recently that she is so aggressive she also tries to attack the snails in the tank the lady put her in.

So african dwarf frogs are good... but any tank mate has the potential to not like the other tank mate. My husband's ghost shrimp also liked to bite/pinch his old betta, but the new betta chases him back and puts him in his place, hehe :)
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #8 
HappyTurtle

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
I got a 2nd, but she kept showing up with welts on her side. I thought my betta was picking on her, but I started catching the FROG antagonizing the betta.
frog #2 was a male, and was trying to amplex and mate with frog #1.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #10 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
frog #2 was a male, and was trying to amplex and mate with frog #1.
hahaha, fighting for her love but she'd be a lesbian, I triple checked to make sure they were sexed right because I didn't want froglings. But.... I had a gay guinea pig once that had an unrequited love for another male guinea pig... so maybe? hehehe
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african dwarf frogs, tank mates