Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #1 
tinainky42431

P.H and Nitrates ?

I f your P.h is in range is it more than likely your nitrate levels are safe and in range? I'm getting ready to go buy the test kit for water quality insurance but what do ya say,would it be in range?
My P.h is in Range i allready tested that.
New beta owner here with a 10 gal ,filter ,Heater, Thermostat, and one Happy Beta :)
tinainky42431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #2 
stephenmontero

u want ur nitrates to be between 10ppm and 30ppm that means ur tank is cycled how long has ur 10 gallon been set up?
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #3 
tinainky42431

P.H and Nitrates ?

I just got it set up yestarday but the man only sold me a ph test kit. I put my fish in there this morning and he is swimming alot and blowing bubbles......... He is gonna be one spoiled fish before its all over,Just like my English Budgies are. My Bird's Love there huge cage and i think enjoy the new fish,which i haven't named yet...
Old 05-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #4 
iamntbatman

Having high nitrates can certainly lower your pH, but there's not a huge correlation between the two parameters. It's possible to have a perfectly suitable pH and nitrates that are completely out of whack. I would get a liquid test kit capable of testing pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #5 
tinainky42431

Thank's i appreciate the answer. I will indeed buy the kit to make sure.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #6 
tinainky42431

Update: I have bought live plants and a real nice sunken ship for my Beta (Pirate) I named Him today .........Lol .I Also Bought a test kit to test all six scales of the water and every thing is up to Par . As I speak now he has a nice bubble nest allready built. This guy is in high heaven and i am so thankfull ive done everything right. This is the first Aquarium I myslf ever owned although my Parents use to have several for many years years ago.
I know that a filter and heater are the key to having a healthy fish along with test kits to make sure the water is where it is suppose to be.
Hope all new fish owners will consider a upgrade also.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #7 
Flashygrrl

Which kit did you buy, I'm trying to think of what one comes with 6 tests.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #8 
Pasfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmontero
u want ur nitrates to be between 10ppm and 30ppm that means ur tank is cycled how long has ur 10 gallon been set up?
This is inaccurate. The cycling process refers to Ammonia and Nitrite being converted into Nitrate. When both Ammonia and Nitrite test zero, then your aquarium is "cycled".

The amount of Nitrate produced during this time has no correlation whatsoever. In fact, the amount of Nitrate produced will depend upon the amount of Ammonia introduced into the system. Nitrate is a helpful tool for monitoring the long term health of your aquarium. It is very useful to measure Nitrate weekly after a cycle, along with pH and Hardness. These will give you the information needed to determine if your water change routine is adequate for your system.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #9 
tinainky42431

I bought Jungle quick dip aquarium Multi-test kit. One dip test strip measures Nitrate ,Nitrite Hardness,Chlorine,Alkalinity and P.H Levels. I gave $14.95 for the kit at my local Pet Store. My Pirate is one happy Beta :D
Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #10 
Flashygrrl

You wasted your money on junk. Liquid tests kits are not that much more expensive than that, last longer, and are much much more accurate (API is very good and my local Petsmart has them for $20).
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote