Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #1 
bannlow2471

Help my thumb is black!

So I've always has something of a black thumb...its just never really mattered that much before. Now that I'm addicted to Bettas, though, and have found that I really like the look of a natural looking tank with live plants this is becoming a dilemma. I've always used live plants in my male veil tail's tank and he was in a 2.5 gallon at first and then upgraded to a 5 gallon. In the five months or so that I've had him I have replaced plants pretty frequently. Like every six weeks or so. It was a manageable expense ..but now that I have two more Bettas and am moving them into a divided 10 gallon which I want to fill with live plants it isn't as much of a non issue as before. I want live plants but I don't want to be constantly replacing them so I need to learn how to better care for them. If I don't want a planted tank per se is there any way to do this? Anything I can add to the water to help them that won't hurt my fish? I currently am using API Stresscoat as a water conditioner. Any help appreciated.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 
kyle89

What kind of plants did you have before?
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
bannlow2471

Do you mean what kind of plants in the fish tanks? I don't really know the different ones ... I know Anubis and java fern for sure as well as others. You can maybe identify some in my avatar pic ...it's pretty current.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

The only plant I've been able to grow successfully is pothos. It is not aquatic, so the roots can be submerged, but the leaves need to be above the water. (I put it through the hole in the lid.) It's easy to grow. It isn't picky about lighting and will even grow in plain water, so no extra nutrients are needed. The roots grow quickly, and the fish seem to like swimming through them.

If you want to stick with aquatic plants though, what type of lighting do you have? And how are you planting them (substrate, etc)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-09-2013 at 12:09 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #5 
kyle89

Java fern is a very hardy plant an anubias is too. How did you have both in your tank? Planted? Where you using fertilizer? Why do you think the plants are dying? Where are you buying the plants
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Also, what kind of lighting are you using for your plants and how long are you leaving the light on? It might even be as simple as not having the right light. I've never had java fern, but my anubis thrives pretty well in my 5g. The first time I got it, I was actually giving it too long of light hours so after cutting back a couple of hours, it helped the plant to adjust and does just fine.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #7 
bannlow2471

In the five gallon tank in my avatar there are only LED hood lights so I guess that is my problem. The substrate is some natural (natural looking?) decorative stones. I either let the plants float or tuck them under some stones to anchor them. I've never used any fertilizer. I've always had live plants in the tank since I got him because I had read that plastic ones damage their fins. Whenever they would start looking icky I would just replace them. It's not terribly expensive to do that but it would be great to avoid it if possible.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #8 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

i really like bamboo shoots. next to no care needed, long roots my betta, Phoenix, loves and you just need to keep the leaves out of the water.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #9 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostiethatlikesherbetta View Post
i really like bamboo shoots. next to no care needed, long roots my betta, Phoenix, loves and you just need to keep the leaves out of the water.
Brilliant! Now... Where do I get them. I've never seen them in Petco or Petsmart. Last Friday I drove 25 minutes to a fish store and all they had were dead plants. Ugh!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #10 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

hmm... i live in vancouver, canada and we have this awesome store called Noahs Pet Ark but its locally owned...not sure. petsmarts ive been to have them too but ive heard canada is WAY better than the US for fish stuff. ive also heard bamboo absorbs nitrates and turns it into oxygen. another plus (if you can find it) :)
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote