Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #1 
TaylerHill

Fin rot or Tail biting??

My boy Larry's tail has been getting worse and worse. It all started a few weeks ago when i put a tera cotta pot in his tank, and like some of you said, he ended up tearing his tail on it. So I took it out and he seemed to be getting better. But then his tail started getting more and more frayed. There's not really any black around the edges, but on one part of it i think there is a small bloody spot. I have never seen him try to bite his tail but it seems to get a new jagged spot each day. I bought some aquarium salt but havent used it yet. The first two pictures are of him now and the last is before this happened. What should I do?
Attached Images

TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #2 
shellieca

Based on your pics I'm not seeing fin rot.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

an important thing to do is make sure there is nothing in your tank that could be tearing his fins... even plastic plants can do this.
is there a filter in his tank? sometimes filters suck in bettas fins which shreds them... i have one betta that i took in and the current from my filter was enough to tear his fins, if this is a possibility then try using nylon.
if there is black around the edges of his fins that have never been there before that is a strong indication of fin rot. if these parts are still black my advice is to QT him and add 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon (dissolving it fully before adding it to the water... any chunks of salt can burn him) and add stresscoat+ to his water the stresscoat will help repair damage to his fins and calm him. Treat him for no longer than 7 days with the salt and daily water changes. If the black edges dont go away then you will have to treat him with something else... currently im treating another betta with stubborn fin rot with a broad spectrum antibiotic, but only use this as a last measure.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

oops misread... no black edges.. sorry... treat him with only the stresscoat+ it really works wonders for shredded fins :)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #5 
TaylerHill

Right there are no black edges. And I have made sure that none of my bettas have plastic plants or decor with rough edges. I will have to try the stress coat for him.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #6 
HeroicPoison

tearing can also be from them puffing up at a reflection... my HM does that from time to time and he gets a little frayed
i hope the stresscoat+ helps the little guy out
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

I agree that it looks like biting. Sometimes they'll stop, sometimes they continue to always chew their tails. :( The stresscoat helps, and feeding high protein food also helps (so that his tail grows out quicker).

I've got two guys who do this. One bites his down to the point that he looks like a plaket...but just his tail. He's a happy, healthy guy...but he eats his tail. :P The other is a double tail, and he only does it once his tail gets to a certain length and it really starts pulling on him when he tries to swim. I really think he's "trimming" it to make his life easier. Annoys me, but keeps him happy...so whatever. :)

He's a beautiful fish though!! I love the variety in his colors, and his little speckly face...too cute! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #8 
TaylerHill

He doesn't really chase his reflection much, i have another betta that does this alot and he usually has tiny tears from it. Thanks i love his coloring too! It was really awesome before his tail dissapeared because it was growing out and was white on the end!