Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #1 
Varsettie

Strange Red Disease On my betta, please help!

Housing:
Somewhere between 7 to 9 gallons

Tank Temperature 82 F or 27 C

No air stone but it has a 5-10 gallon Filter and a tank heater

Yes my tank is heated

My betta fish lives alone. No tank mates.

Food:

I feed him Betta Bio Gold Plus (Pellettes)

I feed him five pelletts once a day in the morning

Mantinence

Normally I preform water changes once a week and change the filter once a month

I usually change 25% of the water at a time

I use nutrafin Aqua Plus when I change the water

Water Parameters

I have not tested the water as I do not know how to

Symptoms and Treatment

His apperance has changed. He has what appears to be a large red sore or moss growing on his face in between his eyes(mainly on his left side)

His behaviour has changed a bit. He still swims and eats but he refuses to flare at me like he used to.

I started noticing changes when I got back from my four day vacation. I had forgotten to change his water before I left and when I returned the algy was pretty bad. I thought cleaning his tank would fix the red sore but it did not.He has had it for about three days now.

I have not started treating him as I don't know what he has. That's what I'm hoping to find out.

He has no history of being ill. He was injured once when I put him in a smaller bowl to clean the algy out of his bigger bowl because the algy got out of hand. That was when I discovered he should not be in direct sunlight because it makes algy grow like crazy. He jumped out of his smaller bowl and ripped a few of his fins but made a great recovery

I have had my fish for 5 or 6 years now

Those are your basic questions answered, I've also taken pictures (as best I could) and a video where he is in a 15 gallon aqarium with a bubbler. I moved him there because there is crushed coral in ithe tank and I'm hoping it will help kill whatever he has. In the video he is not swimming around like he usually does. He seems to be afraid of the camera and wants nothing more than to hide from it.

Photo's URL (Incase the Attachments don't work)
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...psd5670eed.jpg

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...ps175e4fe4.jpg

Video
http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/Va...2fc35.mp4.html

Please help me figure out what he has so I can treat him! I've searched google and it was useless. :/
Attached Images

Varsettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Either it's marbling, or REALLY bad ammonia burns.

In a tank that size, you should be doing 100% a week, and maybe a 50% throwin in there as well. 25% is not enough :/

You should REALLY get an ammonia tester, because if those are burns, then your ammonia is through the roof.

He's clamped so that means he's unwell, as well.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #3 
Varsettie

I took the photos and the video to a Fish Specialty Store here in Ottawa called Big Al's and they seem to think he's got a bacterial infection that's either rawing his skin or rubbing it/eating it off.

I got something called E.M. Erythromycin which they recommended to treat the tank with. Gonna try this and see if he gets better.

The problem with it being an ammonia burn is that if that's what it was it would have shown up long before now. We've been living in the place we're in for almost a year and he himself is close to 5 years old. I can't see it being because of the ammonia levels in our tap water.

EDIT: And I've just been informed that ammonia can build up if I don't change the water enough. I could clean the whole bowl once a week but he does have a filter in there that's meant for his size of tank so I really shouldn't have to be changing 100% that frequently. When I did my research before I got the betta everyone seems to agree that %25 was enough and anything %50 or over would give the fish shock due to New Tank Syndrome. I don't want to shock him simply because he is rather old. I'm worried that much water changes that frequently will kill him.

Last edited by Varsettie; 04-10-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #4 
Varsettie

I gave him the water treatment, it says to leave it for 24 hours with no filtration system in the filter so that's done. Tomorrow I've got to change 25% of the water and wait 24 hours then repeat.

Oh also, I bought two Zebra snails to try to keep the algy under control. He seems amused by them floating in their bag. He's flared at them a few times too.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I hope the treatment helps. You never do a 100 percent water change in a tank that has a filter and the tank is 7 to 9 gallons so 25 to 50 percent should be fine. So maybe
Alcemistnv read that wrong in giving her advice.

When you do a water change try and get the new conditioned water the same or close to the same temp of the water he is in. Is your tank getting a lot of sunlight coming though a window because they can cause the algae to be bad. Good luck I hope he is looking and feeling better soon.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #6 
Varsettie

Perseusmom: He's in a corner away from the windows so he shouldn't be getting a lot of sunlight. The guys at Big Al's seemed to think my water might be high in Phosphates because they can't think of another reason the algy would grow so quickly. Hence the new Snails I bought for him. Hopefully they'll be able to control the algy now that I've cleaned his entire tank out.

So far he seems to have forgotten about feeling bad in favor of harassing the new Zebra Snails. He's even stopped clamping his fins. The water is a bit cloudy due to the E.M. but hopefully that won't bother him too much.

I'm more than a little worried though, that red spot grew super fast and got pretty big and I'm more than a little paranoid about what it might be.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thats so good to hear he is enjoying the snails...lol I am like you I would be worried too , I worry about everything when it comes of my Betta, Keep us posted as to how he is doing.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

I've actually been very bad at reading suff today.
Screwed up QUITE a few times already t-t
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #9 
Varsettie

It's no problem, I was just worried was all.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #10 
Varsettie

I woke up this morning and he was still alive. The red looks like it hasn't grown but it's not going away yet either.

Tags
betta, disease, help confused, sick fish