Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 
Mashiro

Delay In Mail/Flipping Out/Help!!!

Okay, really bad news guys.

I bought a betta from a fellow member of these forums and he was shipped out to me on the 2nd... I was supposed to receive him today, but there was such bad rain RIGHT after the 2nd that still hasn't stopped, it's started to flood my street. So now the mail office says it's a hazard for their drivers to come down my road and the post office closed today at noon! They are closed on Sundays and the earliest I could possibly go pick him up is Monday!!!! I stood out in the rain for almost 4 hours waiting for a driver to show up just in case, but no go...

I've already got a hospital tank setup for him, just in case he gets sick while waiting for me. I have hope that he'll make it but the question is eating at me...

Please, give it to me straight guys... will I be picking up a dead fish on Monday?
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Mashiro sorry for your problems and having to stand out in the rain for 4 hours waiting for the mailman that never showed up. I bet your fish will be fine if the shipper did a good job in preparing the fish to be shipped. I have heard of packages getting lost for a week or more and still the fish was alright. Good luck and best wishes to you and your fish !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #3 
Mashiro

Oh, thank you so much!

That's a huge relief.

Any tips on how to keep the stress down when he gets home? I've got aquarium salt and Stress Coat as well as Prime for water conditioner.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

He should be OK. He's sitting at the post office, which is climate controlled.

(If he was sitting outside, in the middle of a snow storm, or a heat wave, that would be far more dangerous!)

You'll need to acclimate SLOWLY once you get him. Since he'll be spending a few extra days in the bag, the ammonia level will be a little higher.... Just go extra slow on the acclimation, to give him time to adjust to your water parameters.

He shouldn't need any aquarium salt.

Use either the Stress Coat or the Prime, whichever you prefer.

I'm thinking you know how to acclimate, right? If you're not sure, just ask, and we'll explain the process.

If he looks stressed, keep the tank in a quiet location. Cover it with a towel or sheet. Bettas tend to calm down when they're in the dark.

(Whenever I get a new betta, I acclimate over the course of at least 4-to-8 hours. And I keep the tank in a quiet, dark location during the process.)

Good luck! Take pictures when you get him!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #5 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
He should be OK. He's sitting at the post office, which is climate controlled.

(If he was sitting outside, in the middle of a snow storm, or a heat wave, that would be far more dangerous!)

You'll need to acclimate SLOWLY once you get him. Since he'll be spending a few extra days in the bag, the ammonia level will be a little higher.... Just go extra slow on the acclimation, to give him time to adjust to your water parameters.

He shouldn't need any aquarium salt.

Use either the Stress Coat or the Prime, whichever you prefer.

I'm thinking you know how to acclimate, right? If you're not sure, just ask, and we'll explain the process.

If he looks stressed, keep the tank in a quiet location. Cover it with a towel or sheet. Bettas tend to calm down when they're in the dark.

(Whenever I get a new betta, I acclimate over the course of at least 4-to-8 hours. And I keep the tank in a quiet, dark location during the process.)

Good luck! Take pictures when you get him!

I thought acclimation was just letting the bag sit in the water so the temp doesn't shock them?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No acclimation is the whole process of transitioning a fish to different conditions. I let the bag float for ten minutes then SLOWLY start adding water at about 1oz every five-ten minutes until the bag is full... Then I release them.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #7 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
No acclimation is the whole process of transitioning a fish to different conditions. I let the bag float for ten minutes then SLOWLY start adding water at about 1oz every five-ten minutes until the bag is full... Then I release them.
Okay, thanks for the info! I'll be sure to do that from now on.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Letting the temperature equalize is just one part of it. There are also a lot of differences in water parameters between "old" and "new" water, so you need to let them adjust slowly, in over to avoid shocking them.

If the fish is new, you want to go even slower than what's described below! I generally take from 4-to-8 hours to acclimate a brand new fish!

Here is one variation on how to acclimate:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

As long as the temp isn't too cold, I would think he will be fine till monday. People import them all the time from Asia and I'm sure they spend at least a good 24 hours in transport/waiting in airports. I got 2 clown plecos sent priority mail and they arrived alive
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote