Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 
EBITDAbetta

Smile New Tank Problems

Hi!

I purchased a new tank for my 3 year old betta some time ago. He's currently in a 1 gallon Marina Cubus tank and I got a 2 gallon Spec Fluval tank that has a small filter.

I've been nervous about moving him to the new tank (it's literally been sitting around my office for a year already ) but he was starting to act a little lethargic so I decided to make the move today.

I set the whole thing up and made sure the temperature was the same as his current tank (~73 degrees). I soaked the new rocks overnight and made sure they were clear of any debris. I set the filter as low as it would go and added part of the water from his current tank and some fresh water as well as a little bit of aquarium salt and water conditioner. I acclimated him to the new water in a baggie and eventually let him go.

He immediately laid at the bottom and seemed to be struggling to breathe. I gave it a half an hour or so and he started to look a little bit pale so I pulled him from the new tank and put him back in his old one with some aquarium salt. He's 1000% better now, color is back and he's eating/swimming around.

Did I do something wrong? I did some googling and it seems I should let the tank cycle for a week or 2 before adding the fish so I'm going to do that but now I'm afraid to ever move him again. Should I just leave well enough alone in the 1 gallon tank? He's gotten bigger since I first got him and I want him to have enough room to enjoy himself. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Erin & EBITDA (fish friend)
EBITDAbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

73 dergrees is actually too low for a betta, 78 should be much better.

Annd the reason why he was at the bottom was because he was stressed and spooked. Almost all bettas do that. AQ salt shouldn't be used unless the fish is sick because it's almst the same as taking medicine if you're not sick.

If you leave him n the 2 gallon, he'll get used to it.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #3 
Xeek

Did you check the water parameters using a test kit?

I would suggest a higher temperature for a betta, that is kind of cold for them, but I doubt that's the problem. He may be even happier with a temp closer to 80.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 
EBITDAbetta

Thanks for the suggestions. I generally have kept the temperature around 73-75 because I keep EBITDA in my office and overnight it sometimes gets a little bit colder and I don't want it to fluctuate too much. Another reason I wanted to put him in the bigger tank is so that I could get him a heater - I haven't been able to find one for the 1 gallon tank.

Should I cycle the new tank for a week and then try again with a heater?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

I honestly don't see a point in trying to cycle a 2 gallon tank. If the water source is the same as the prior, then you don't have to let the water sit out.

If the tank was much bigger, then yes, I would cycle it, but a 2 gallon won't make a difference.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #6 
Xeek

You didn't answer about the water parameters. pH, dGH, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, etc. Did you test any of that?

Last edited by Xeek; 04-10-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

well Xeek, if its a desk fish, then a 5 gallon tank is big. And they already have a tank.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #8 
EBITDAbetta

I'll pick up a test kit today for the water parameters and some new plants for the bigger tank.

The water is from the same source. I wasn't sure if the carbon or biomax needed to sit in the water for awhile before adding the fish; I've never had a tank with a filter before.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #9 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
well Xeek, if its a desk fish, then a 5 gallon tank is big. And they already have a tank.
5 gallons is just fine for a betta. Many will say they never put bettas in anything less. I wouldn't recommend a 5 gallon for a lone fish without any plants or ornaments though.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #10 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBITDAbetta View Post
I'll pick up a test kit today for the water parameters and some new plants for the bigger tank.

The water is from the same source. I wasn't sure if the carbon or biomax needed to sit in the water for awhile before adding the fish; I've never had a tank with a filter before.

Thank you for the advice.
It really depends. It's really not abnormal for a fish to clamp up, not eat, and just look sick when it's moved to a new tank. Most of the bettas I've had are like that for a few days and it seems to magnify their discomfort if the new surroundings are large surroundings. They really eventually learn to enjoy the larger space after they've worked up the confidence to investigate the terrain.

One thing I have noticed is this has been far less of a problem for me when I start the betta out in a small breeder box within the tank they're intended. They are smart enough to know they are enclosed. I do this with any female I plan to add to my sorority. They don't seem to clamp up or act lethargic in the box - they still don't eat well for a couple of days after the move. When I have brought new bettas home and transferred them directly into a larger tank, they clamp up, prefer to hide behind the heater or filter, and act lethargic. After a few days they open up and start getting curious about everything corner of the tank.

Last edited by Xeek; 04-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.