Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #11 
VJM

Here are the things I spot that you may want to address:

1. The Spec filter, even on low, may just be way too much current for your guy. When you try again, leave it off and see if it helps. You can also baffle the outflow in various ways, but I would try it totally off first.

2. Tanks take weeks, even months to establish a cycle. Small tanks, like a 2 gallon, may never establish a dependable cycle. You can test with a liquid kit, and change water when you see ammonia or nitrates or nitrates over 20ppm, or you can just do a 50% and a 100% change every week. I have two small tanks that are cycled, but I don't trust it and test frequently.

3. Did you test the rocks with vinegar r hydrogen peroxide? A lot of things are not safe for aquariums. If they fizz, get rid of them. If they don't, I would still keep them out at first. This is just to cut down on the number of variables that may be causing problems. If all goes well, you could add them back and see if they cause any distress signs.

4. It's good you matched temperature, but 73 is too cold. Bettas need 76-80. What kind of heater are you usuing? Some of them have really toxic effects, sadly. Now that he is in his happy place, try increasing temperature by no more than one degree per hour. You might want to wait a few days, and then just do a degree a day, since he was stressed.

5. No salt unless you are specifically treating a disease. Salt can eventually harm internal organs, and exposure makes it less likely to work when you need it to.

6. What kind of water conditioner and how much are you adding? I use Prime or Stresszyme, which are pretty common. 2 drops per gallon for Prime, and you can use them together.

7. When you acclimate, float him in something (I use solo cups, clothespinned to the side of the tank) for 15 minutes. Then add a tablespoon of tank water. Keep adding every 10-15 minutes. Make sure he isn't stressing. If he is, stop for twenty minutes. Do that for an hour. You can remove water from the cup if it gets too full with a turkey baster.

It sounds like either shock, or something toxic in the tank. By following the above, hopefully he won't get shocked and there won't be anything in there that is hurting him.

Good luck!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #12 
EBITDAbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
It really depends. It's really not abnormal for a fish to clamp up, not eat, and just look sick when it's moved to a new tank. Most of the bettas I've had are like that for a few days and it seems to magnify their discomfort if the new surroundings are large surroundings. They really eventually learn to enjoy the larger space after they've worked up the confidence to investigate the terrain.
Thanks so much for the information. Do you think there's a difference between having a 2 gallon tank that is wide rather than tall? This one is a tall one and I'm starting to think I should get a wide one giving him more room to swim around horizontally and have more plants without having to go so far up for his food. Am I overthinking this? I just want him to be a happy fish.
EBITDAbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #13 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBITDAbetta View Post
Thanks so much for the information. Do you think there's a difference between having a 2 gallon tank that is wide rather than tall? This one is a tall one and I'm starting to think I should get a wide one giving him more room to swim around horizontally and have more plants without having to go so far up for his food. Am I overthinking this? I just want him to be a happy fish.
I would prefer a longer tank to a tall tank. Considering you as a human spend most of your time on the ground, would a 100 foot tall house with little horizontal space be efficient for you? A betta spends a lot of time near the surface, and they often breath on the surface. They don't spend much time swimming up and down as they do forwards.

I'm willing to bet my corydoras wouldn't mind a tall tank, they enjoy swimming up and down!

Side Note: A healthy adult betta can swim up pretty high without a problem. Depth isn't usually an issue unless they get sick.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #14 
EBITDAbetta

Quote:
I would prefer a longer tank to a tall tank.
Sorry to be obnoxious, but do you have any recommendations by chance? Unfortunately most desktop tanks seem to only get taller and not wider. I could go as big as 2.5 gallons in my office. Thanks!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo

This one seems to be the widest I can find.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #15 
EBITDAbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Here are the things I spot that you may want to address:

1. The Spec filter, even on low, may just be way too much current for your guy. When you try again, leave it off and see if it helps. You can also baffle the outflow in various ways, but I would try it totally off first.

2. Tanks take weeks, even months to establish a cycle. Small tanks, like a 2 gallon, may never establish a dependable cycle. You can test with a liquid kit, and change water when you see ammonia or nitrates or nitrates over 20ppm, or you can just do a 50% and a 100% change every week. I have two small tanks that are cycled, but I don't trust it and test frequently.

3. Did you test the rocks with vinegar r hydrogen peroxide? A lot of things are not safe for aquariums. If they fizz, get rid of them. If they don't, I would still keep them out at first. This is just to cut down on the number of variables that may be causing problems. If all goes well, you could add them back and see if they cause any distress signs.

4. It's good you matched temperature, but 73 is too cold. Bettas need 76-80. What kind of heater are you usuing? Some of them have really toxic effects, sadly. Now that he is in his happy place, try increasing temperature by no more than one degree per hour. You might want to wait a few days, and then just do a degree a day, since he was stressed.

5. No salt unless you are specifically treating a disease. Salt can eventually harm internal organs, and exposure makes it less likely to work when you need it to.

6. What kind of water conditioner and how much are you adding? I use Prime or Stresszyme, which are pretty common. 2 drops per gallon for Prime, and you can use them together.

7. When you acclimate, float him in something (I use solo cups, clothespinned to the side of the tank) for 15 minutes. Then add a tablespoon of tank water. Keep adding every 10-15 minutes. Make sure he isn't stressing. If he is, stop for twenty minutes. Do that for an hour. You can remove water from the cup if it gets too full with a turkey baster.

It sounds like either shock, or something toxic in the tank. By following the above, hopefully he won't get shocked and there won't be anything in there that is hurting him.

Good luck!
1. I did turn the filter off at one point to see if that would make him more comfortable. If I don't use the filter, should I remove the media as well?

2. I'll be buying a test kit today to see what's going on in there!

3. It's aquarium gravel, not rocks. Sorry for the confusion. Unless there is some aquarium gravel that I shouldn't be using. Mine is Top Fin Polished Pebbles.

4. Right now I have no heater because I haven't been able to find one that is reliable for a 1 gallon tank so I tend to keep the temperature a little bit lower since at night it is cooler in my office and I don't want the temperature to fluctuate too much. That's part of the reason I wanted to upsize, so I could get him a heater in the bigger tank.

5. I was using salt because he was lethargic for the past few days. He has since perked up and is looking much better (back in the old tank).

6. I have Aqueon Water Conditioner. I used maybe 6 drops in the new tank (2 gallon) and 3 drops in the old tank (1 gallon).

7. I floated him in a clear plastic cup attached to the side of the tank with a paper clip, added a little bit of new water every 20 minutes or so and then after an hour placed him in the tank.

Thanks for all the information!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #16 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBITDAbetta View Post
Sorry to be obnoxious, but do you have any recommendations by chance? Unfortunately most desktop tanks seem to only get taller and not wider. I could go as big as 2.5 gallons in my office. Thanks!

2.5 Gallon Fish Tank Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop 2.5 Gallon Aquarium Kit | PetSmart

This one seems to be the widest I can find.
I am also looking for a tank for my desk at work. A square tank is likely the only good choices out there, I haven't found anything else yet. There are some tall cylinder like tanks at petco and petsmart that I would avoid.

The tank you linked looks like one that's on my list of choices. There are fancier ones I like more, but that one is a good price.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #17 
Xeek

It looks like that tank's filter system connects to the hood. I don't really like that, could make water changes messy - and not good for an office desk.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #18 
Alcemistnv

How about a Hex tank from Petco?
I have a 2 gallon one which comes with a filter and LED lights, and after having numerous tanks, I give this one a 4/5. 1 point off because the filter needs to be baffled.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #19 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
How about a Hex tank from Petco?
I have a 2 gallon one which comes with a filter and LED lights, and after having numerous tanks, I give this one a 4/5. 1 point off because the filter needs to be baffled.
Too tall for my comfort.

Aqueon Evolve LED Aquarium Kit - Small Fish Tank and Betta Fish Tank from petco.com

I'm looking at this one. It's also a square, not much else to find in this size. I'm not usually a fan of Nano tanks for bettas, but since I'll be putting an adult male in it I'm fine. The problem I had with nano tanks is my females will get curious about what's on the other side of the vent leading to the filter, will wiggle through it (they're small enough) and eventually get sucked into the pump! I lost 2 girls that way. I've since hot glued craft mesh over the vents, but now I have to constantly remove algae and buildup from the mesh to keep the water flowing. An adult male would likely be too big for those vents though.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #20 
EBITDAbetta

Quote:
It looks like that tank's filter system connects to the hood. I don't really like that, could make water changes messy - and not good for an office desk.
yeah i just noticed that. i'm looking at this one now.

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Cube-Aqu...words=aquarium

a little big but he can take over my whole desk for all i care