Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 
Tigersoul101

A new tank

So I've had my betta(Mr.Violet is his name) for since October and I've had him in a 2 1/2 gal. tank. Just this Sunday his tank sprung a leak when I changed it so on Monday I went out to get a new one. At the Petco I went to their cheapest was a 10 gal. so I bought it. I know this is a little over the edge for it, but so far he seems to be coping with it.

Because it's a 10 gal and he has lots of room now, I was wondering should I split the tank and get another betta or get some companions for him. I don't really want to split it, but I want to know your suggestions. And for getting companions, I know you can house Cory cats and Neon tetras with male bettas, but are there more you can house with him?

P.S: I just joined, and I wasn't sure if I put this thread in the right place....
Tigersoul101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #2 
Xeek

Depends how much you love bettas! If you're like me and you really love them then divide it and get another boy! There would still be enough room for some shrimp on either side and I would put a nerite snail on each side (to squeegee the glass clean). I wouldn't be a fan of putting corydoras in a divided tank like that, they really should be in good numbers to feel confident.

If you want what would probably be a more diverse and interesting tank then get him a bunch of tank mates. I keep my bettas with false julii corydoras, albino corydoras, nerite snails, and adult ghost shrimp (they attack and eat the smaller shrimp I recently discovered). Another interesting addition in a tank that has some cover is a orange dwarf crawfish (CPO), they're much more docile than larger crayfish and don't eat plants or dig around.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #3 
Tigersoul101

Cool, I'll go research the shrimps

I'm a little worried about having some bottom feeders, like the snail, in there because where I have the tank. It doesn't get a lot of sunlight; therefore, I barely have any noticeable algae. Could that mean that they could starve, or is there something out there to feed them?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I buy more tanks & make room somewhere because I'm not a fan of divided tanks. I currently have 3 10g, 2 5g, 1 5.5g for my males & a 46g community tank for the girls. Oh & 2 2.5g tanks, one on my desk at work & the other currently unoccupied which makes me look at Bettas when I go to the store. I know not everyone can or will do this, its just my thing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #5 
Xeek

Just feed them algae wafers. Your tank shouldn't get any sunlight, would likely cause an algae problem of large proportions!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #6 
Xeek

A side note: Bettas can learn to snack on the algae wafers. Mine get a little plump doing so, but they often spit most of it out. It's never been a problem for me though.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #7 
Tigersoul101

@Shellieca: Yeah, I don't have a place for a another tank in my room at the moment (I live my parents). I do want to have more bettas though, and I was planning over the summer to breed them, but life as normal crashed and burned the plan .

@Xeek: Ok :)
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #8 
Xeek

Breeding them can be difficult. Multiple females because the male can be picky and just prefer to fight. The female might be that way to.

Once the eggs hatch keeping nutrients in the water for these guys to eat is also quite difficult. Also the water level needs to be low and the tank very humid.

Once they get to the right age then you will need to separate them all. We're probably talking a 100 or so cups/jars, and you'll need a place for these.

Then what are you going to do with them? That's a lot of bettas you will end up with if you are successful.

It will have to be something you can be passionate about and determined after failing. A lot of patience too.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #9 
Tigersoul101

Yeah, I've been researching like crazy about breeding them and know how much space it would take up. The only part that I have trouble with is the patience. I barely have any...

And I already thought of a plan with the bettas if I were to breed them. The local Petco and Petsmart will take in local breeders bettas and that was what I was thinking of doing.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #10 
Xeek

Sounds like fun then. You can experiment with different colors! If you do this for years you could promote certain personality traits even - but we're talking generations here.