Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #1 
Shortie55505

Blue's New Home! ;)

do you see any thing missing? I'm also thinking of getting a tank Buddie but I'm not sure of what kind, any suggestions?
10 Gal
Filter
Heater
1 Plant
1 Cave
Thermometer
Gravel
Shortie55505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #2 
resRfun

when i had my beta way back when... i got a mystery snail along with him. They got along real well, slept together and followed each other around. Only problem with that is that it will probably eat your plant XD but they are really fun to watch if they hook up.
resRfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #3 
Neo

some more tropical fish would be nice, maybe a couple(3 or 4) female bettas, looks like you have a great tank.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #4 
JMeenen

Looks like a 10 Gallon? Maybe some java fern or some slik plants ..a couple (2) Corys as a clean up crew.. I don't know as I would put a female Betta in there with him....
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #5 
bettaboy
Banned

Lol, do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT put a female in there, especially more than one.
bettaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #6 
Shortie55505

yeah, i don't think i'll put any female beta's in there.
Shortie55505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #7 
Ariel

I would reccomend many plants. Live would be the best. Java fern is very easy to take care of. It doesnt need much sunlight and can handle 100% water changes. African Dwarf Frogs and bettas get along well. They are also cute and playful addition to the aquarium.
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #8 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
African Dwarf Frogs and bettas get along well. They are also cute and playful addition to the aquarium.
This is not true. Bettas can completely attack anything you put in there tank. There is no way to know if an ADF is safe.

Also, youwould need adequet lighting for plants. You need flourescent, and it would be best to have at least 1WPG (but less is ok for some plants). Java fern also needs to anchored on to something, like driftwood or coconut caves. It should not be buried.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #9 
Ariel

Oh. I was just passing on info.
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #10 
okiemavis

Ooh, it's so nice and spacious!

I'd add some more decorations. If you don't want to try live plants, you should go for silk, not plastic, so he doesn't cut his fins. He'd also probably really like some floating plants or decorations, that way he'll have a place to anchor any bubble nests he may decide to build.

Some bettas will not tolerate any other fish, and some get along quite well with a variety of fish, so you can definitely add some but you should be prepared to rehome them if your betta decides he doesn't like them. Some ghost shrimp would be a good test, as they are only about 10 cents. If your betta doesn't try to kill them, you could add some more colorful and expensive cherry shrimp.

Bottom dwellers are also a good bet for betta tankmates. A shoal of 6 dwarf corydoras would make a lovely and interactive addition to the tank. Although before adding any groups of fish, you may want to upgrade your filtration.

The only other thing I would recommend is a top, as bettas have definitely been known to be good jumpers. You can get a nice glass one for around $12 and it has a plastic strip at the back to cut out holes for your filter, heater and any other things you may have running through the tank.

All in all, this is a great tank. You have one incredibly lucky betta and I'm sure he will be very happy, healthy and long lived.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote