Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #1 
Chevko

Honey's shell

Okay, so Honey's shell is looking a bit eroded in her spiral and then there's this weird... bad growth.

All in all I'm having difficulty getting her shell to grow evenly. Can I get some tips here? I've got multiple pieces of varying sizes of cuttlebone in the tank, but...
Erosion? 1
Erosion? 2
Erosion? 3

And also, since I never got a response on Tumblr, what is this thing??? When I put her in the 10 for the first time, I believe, she was super, super stressed and that came out. I haven't seen it since that day, but...
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #2 
Silverfang

Honey might be a he >.>

Also, that looks more like a crack then what I expect of erosion. Cuttlebone, calcium supplements, calcium tablets, high calcium foods. Those are what you should try. But not all at once!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #3 
Chevko

I thought she was a male, too, but I'll have her reach upward out of her shell and I don't see anything. That particular bit is typically flat against the inside of her shell when she reaches out. This is the primary time I've actually seen it someplace other than pressed against her shell.

But the line grows with her shell, oddly. I can't think of anything that might be causing it. Like I said, I have multiple pieces of cuttlebone in the tank. One piece is almost a quarter of the bone (but I'm horrible with measurements). Calcium-based food would be the occasional reptistick. Wardley brand. 2.5% calcium listed on the label.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #4 
djembekah

There are several great snail food recipes out there that'll have even more calcium than your reptile sticks.

also i agree, might be a crack rather than erosion. cracks in anything can grow without doing anything- think like, glass and such.

also, what's your water hardness out or curiosity? Snails appreciate harder water. maybe that's affecting her too?

No idea about the sex on the snail. I've got more experience with rabbit snails and i can't even sex them properly!
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #5 
Silverfang

Not sure if that is a he, or the siphon. Also you want blanched veggies for the best meal for her. Zuchinni, spinach, lettuce, carrot, etc.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #6 
Chevko

@DJ
No idea on water hardness. City tap water that's sat a couple of days to release chlorine then I got in a huge bottle of Seachem Prime. I will definitely look for some recipes though, I didn't know those were around.

@Silverfang
It's definitely not her siphon, that's on the other side of her shell. If the white thingie were on the left side, then her siphon's all the way over on the right. Far sides, both of them, kind of.

I do have a cucumber I slice on occasion for her and blanch best I can without making it into mush that disintegrates on contact with water. I'll see about getting some carrots though. Do you know if the ones that are best for them are those that actually have formed seeds in them? The one I bought wound up being barely formed in that aspect.

Tags
chevko's snail, honey the snail