Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

29 gallons of DROPSY!!!!

Everyone who I've PM'd and have read my frantic messages knows that I've lost 3 members of my sorority in 3 months to an asymptomatic disease- bloat, lethargy & quick death within 12 hours.

This morning: All girls just fine.

3 PM: All girls fine. I notice that the cats (oto & synodontis) are zooming around more than normal. A few of the girls are pausing, then darting. Water test: zeros across the board.

7pm: Belle is sitting on the bottom of the tank; I scoop her immediatley & noticed distinct "pineconing". Immediatly I placed her in a .5 gal QT w/ 1/2 teaspoon Epsom salts, a 1/4 teasp. Stress Coat, and a few extra drops of Prime.
I dived into my "medicine chest" & refered to our disease thread. All I had on hand to treat dropsy is Maracyn Two. It's hard to measure this stuff for a .5 gal tank, so I put about 1/4 packet in Belle's .5 gal. After a few minutes thought, I decided to treat the entire 29 gal w/Maracyn Two. As I look at each fish, something seems "off" about each of them. Since I can't pin what it is, it's probably my overactive imagination. I'm looking for disease when I'm usually looking at fish w/personalities. Now their personalities look like disease.

Then I checked my mail- the KanaPlax Plus I ordered for Angel (RIP) just arrived.

2 questions: How can I treat the whole tank? Every remedy says to change 100% of the tank's water, but Maracyn Two says NOT to do water changes. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I not only have my bettas left, but the cats as well.

I've learned that Dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease. I was ready to name myself "Champion Water Changer and Tester of the Year", but then I realized some more likely reasons I've killed the fish.
-In an attempt at a "varied diet", I've probably over fed them (OK the boys are very healthy, but I am less heavy-handed w/ the food b/c there's 1 fish per feeding area- plus no drama; the girls are fun to watch when eating).
-I've been feeding them flake food for 3 months- I read something that said an open jar of flake food is rancid after 1 month!
-I give them freeze-dried tubifex chunks. I bet they expand quickly if not hydrated 1st.
-I got live black worms & was feeding them regularly through Feb. & March. Rinsing w/plain water wouldn't get rid of any bacteria in those worms. My girl Red died b/f the black worms, but the girls had turned on her & ripped her to pieces b/f I could diagnose any disease. She may have been a carrier, but I got her last August!
-My high Ph must be working against me. (But the boys are OK; but not the spawn.)

I also have the problem of trying to feed algae plus bottom-feeder pellets & bettas (who will eat anything).

I am SO SICK of this trouble and expense w/ these fish!!! I am in over my head, pun intended.

Last edited by Xaltd1; 04-10-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

Oh this sucks. :( Sorry to be so blunt there, but that was my absolute first thought. Okay...I really have no right to give anyone instructions as I'm not an expert by any means, but this is what I'd do in your case...for what it's worth. :)

I would do a complete water change, remove all the other med, the maracyn. I'd rather not fool around at this point with something that might not work, and might only make the matter worse by strengthening the bacteria with failed antibiotics.

Then I'd dose the entire tank with the kanamycin, treat however it rec's.

Will the kanaplex hurt the cats? I know nothing about those...

As for the feeding problem...if it was me, I'd just remove the cats and have a betta-only sorority, since this will help to solve your feeding problem. And I'd stick to regular NLS or Omega pellets with some of the hikari frozen foods (they're massively disinfected for all sorts of parasites and bacteria, so I think they're pretty safe) as treats/variety.

And I'm so sorry for your troubles!! I hope it starts to get better soon. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

I can't accept a betta-only tank. The cats & shrimp (RCS as yet to be introduced but are in another tank) plus plants should each have a role to play. The waste from the bettas should be addressed 1st by me, then bottom feeders (to get what I can't).
It's easy to throw the whole tank out. I've already done that once. It is not an option every 3-4 months.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

I understand. :( I've only ever kept a few goldfish and bettas, so I really don't know anything about other fish at all, so I'm not terribly helpful there. :(

What about PM'ing Sakura8? She is very knowledgeable about meds and things. Sorry I wasn't any more help. :(
Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

My intent is to get more Maracyn Two & treat the entire tank.
I may isolate the bettas (including the already QT'd Belle) in individual tanks & add Epsom salts to the Maracyn Two, then treat the cats w/ the tank water w/ Maracyn Two.
I am uncertain how to dose the Kanaplex; the instructions are confusing; I do not understand how to "feed" it to fish that are sick.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

My understanding is that you mix the kanaplex with frozen food, the brine shrimp would probably work as they're pretty watery and chunky (like wet dog food), and then feed it to the fish in that mixture. I haven't tried it, but that's what I've seen talked about online when people feed it.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #7 
justmel

I hate to say this, but with them all getting sick and everything, could it be the mystery disease? I was reading a thread posted by basement bettas (that I of course cannot find now) and it seem the disease can take many different path, but always leads to dead fish. I really hope you find out this is not the case, but Sakura is probably best to ask. I know you probably have already PMed her though. To be safest I would likely OT all my females though. That way if any of them are still healthy they have more chance of staying that way.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #8 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
I hate to say this, but with them all getting sick and everything, could it be the mystery disease? I was reading a thread posted by basement bettas (that I of course cannot find now) and it seem the disease can take many different path, but always leads to dead fish. I really hope you find out this is not the case, but Sakura is probably best to ask. I know you probably have already PMed her though. To be safest I would likely OT all my females though. That way if any of them are still healthy they have more chance of staying that way.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125895

There is what I believe is the post you are talking about.

and here is a post about it supposedly being beat
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....highlight=myco
we cant be totally sure though.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #9 
belleangel33

I just want to say Im sorry for what your going through. I am no help because I have never successfully saved any betta or goldfish once they went pinecone aka dropsy. Good luck!
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #10 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125895

There is what I believe is the post you are talking about.

and here is a post about it supposedly being beat
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....highlight=myco
we cant be totally sure though.
Thanks! That first thread is the one I was talking about & now I can bookmark it.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote