Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #11 
Xaltd1

I find the first link terrifying! My takaway is most bettas have a fatal disease & it's going to kill our fish sooner or later & there is nothing we can do about it.

That said, my "pinecone girl" is looking better, is eating & is active. That's 24 more hours of life. She can eat & come to the top for food. One side of the pineconing is looking better, but that is throwing her balance off. I'm using Maracyn Two plus, Kanaplex, Epsom salts, and an ammonia detoxifyer.

I am unclear as to wether or not to do 100% water changes when meds are in the water.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #12 
Blue Fish

The first link scared the crap out of me as well.

It sounds like since she's looking better then what you're doing is working. :) Keeping up hope and good thoughts for your girls, sorry to not be any more help!

I've read with other meds that if you change the water, then you should treat the new water with an equivalent dose to whatever is already in there. There's a few other fish forums I lurk on, and there's a person on there who always recommends that.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #13 
Xaltd1

My poor girl died very suddenly last night. One minute she could swim & eat, the next she was gone.
My treated 29 gal looks like a river bottom! I removed the charcoal filter & the meds are staining the water. The fish seem happy, but I'm not!

I'm really sorry I ever bought a fish to begin with. I've spent a fortune, spilled water & chemicals everywhere only to have a gigantic mess on my hands.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #14 
justmel

Xaltd I know how you feel, I'm REALLY sorry you are having to go through all this. Don't give up though.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #15 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Sorry to hear about your little girl... My little Cass is fighting dropsy right now too... One thing I can suggest is not to use Kanaplex and Maracyn Two at the same time. They both treat for the same thing, so they can interact poorly. Kind of like if you take two kinds of painkillers and get stomach cramps. You have to be really careful about overmedicating your fish.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #16 
belleangel33

Im so sorry for loss. Fish can be so frustrating and heart breaking.
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #17 
Xaltd1

I dosed everyone w/ the Kanaplex; shortly after that, my "pinecone" girl died. I added some into the algae eaters' gel algae food + the girls' frozen food, but I'm sure they didn't get dosed like Belle did. I have found info that says the two should be used together... sigh! For every answer you find on the 'net, there are a dozen other opinions. How helpful!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #18 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I know that feeling. The internet sucks for that. And I don't really have proof that they shouldn't be used together, it's just kind of a "rule of thumb" in medicine. Mixing things that treat the same things can cause a lot more harm than good. I wish I could give you more insight, but I don't have much. Dropsy is absolutely awful, and caused by so many different things that a) it's hard as hell to treat and b) you never know how much time you have to treat it. It can be a bacterial thing, it can be organ failure, it can be so many things that it's just bloody awful to have to deal with it. I know because I'm in the same boat, my fish living on borrowed time as I just hope she has the strength to keep going through her treatment. It's horrible, but that's the way dropsy is...
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #19 
Xaltd1

Thank you- support is important at this time.
Can everyone come by my house & help me empty buckets? LOL WHY did I break up w/ my boyfriend when he was so much help w/lifting stuff?
I can see me stalking him...please come back..I need to change fish water!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #20 
titolatino1970

i have issues like yours all the time i dont no if this will work for you but i buy medicated foods and once a month they get some just in case that way if they do get sick its not getting a good hold on them remember im a novice that just starting to get comfortable sorry for you loss
titolatino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote