Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #21 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by titolatino1970 View Post
i have issues like yours all the time i dont no if this will work for you but i buy medicated foods and once a month they get some just in case that way if they do get sick its not getting a good hold on them remember im a novice that just starting to get comfortable sorry for you loss
There must be a preventive medication that can be dosed 1x mo or whatever as a way of keeping disease under control. I bought "Jungleguard All In One" which is called a "remedy" & "use as needed" hmm, so I'm confused as to what it actually does.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #22 
titolatino1970

ive had antibiotics not work and ive watched them die but i noticed that it only happends in the spring and only with petstore bettas check kens site for the foods
titolatino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #23 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by titolatino1970 View Post
ive had antibiotics not work and ive watched them die but i noticed that it only happends in the spring and only with petstore bettas check kens site for the foods
What is Ken's Site?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #24 
Option

I think it's kensfish.com....great site. He's got some great prices on things other than food there too.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #25 
Xaltd1

It's awesome- I see what's left of my bank account winding up there ;0)
I LOVE giving the girls different foods, BUT it may be the cause of their illness.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #26 
Aluka

I think the first thing to do right now is stop feeding them. Bettas can live up to a month without being fed (not that it is ideal). But first, we want to rule out that they are not just bloated or the food is causing them to get sick. So lets fast for for about 1-2 weeks.

2nd thing to do: don't be so quick to dose too many meds at the same time. Be calm. Don't panic. If its a fast acting disease there is nothing you can do anyways. What you want to do right now is to minimize the deaths and hopefully save everyone.

3. dont take apart your 29 gallon. do a 30-40% water change. Take water out of the tank into a qt tank and put the sick bettas in the qt tanks. (do another 30-40% water change in the qt tank after a few hours, and everyday after until the fish is better)

4. Observe Each fish in the different qt tank separately. Diagnose their issue. Try your best not to treat all their illness together. Some diseases act faster than others. Treat for the most serious ones. (say if the fish has dropsy and ich and finrot, ich and finrot aren't quick killers, treat the dropsy first, then address the ich and finrot after.) Alot of the medicals have similar ingredients or conflicting ingredients, if you use two at the same time, you might be overdosing or over stressing the fish. Alot of time our fish dies not from the disease but the stress we put them thru while trying to save them. So don't panic.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #27 
Aluka

5. Make sure their qt tanks are warm, keep lights low (to reduce stress)

6. When you decide which med to dose. Get a clean bucket/bowl, fill it with some water (note how much water is in the bucket, like 3 gal or 5 gal, or how ever much your bucket holds). Dose the medical you decide to give them into the bucket. (Use separate buckets if you think your bettas has different diseases)

7. Don't just dump the meds into the qt tanks, water change into the qt tank. its less stressful that way. once the bucket with the meds has been treated with both water conditioner and meds, and heated up to the temperature matching the qt tanks. Do a 20-30% water change into the qt tanks. Repeat after a few hours. This way you are easing the meds in, so the fish is less stressed. Keep changing the water 20-30% until the qt tank is at the right dosage of the meds, then save the rest of the water for water change tomorrow.

8. keep an eye on the main tank, do some water changes if necessary. Qt if other bettas falls ill.

Btw how are you feeding the live blackworms? i have heard of people having an issue with them, saying they need to be chopped up into tiny bits or they MIGHT clog their intestines, but i don't think its a common issue.

Last edited by Aluka; 04-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #28 
belleangel33

Ugh if I wasnt 2-3 hours away I would come help you with your water changes but thats a heck of drive lol.

I have had one betta that had dropsys that I thought I had cured it because the pinecone went away and she was doing great and then a week later I came home from work and she was just floating on her side , she was dead. Very disturbing when I thought I had beaten the odds and she showed no signs of sickness for a week and then BAMM gone.

Again sorry for all that your going through - its very frustrating!
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #29 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Treating all your girls at once is a smart move. The pineconing effect is usually the final symptom of an internal system crash. While they CAN bounce back its not considered likely.
Treating all your girls will help if its a bacterial infection stewing away in their guts. Possibly your one girl was acting ill and they killed her out of instinct to protect the sorority..and accidentally infected themselves.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #30 
Artemis

Dropsy is a myth!!!! I had a goldfish who showed full signs of dropsy. Everywhere I looked said no hope but I refused to give up. I found this site and he was totally fine! (SIP little buddy. He got a bad scratch and had internal injuries and had to be put down)

Does this go against forum rules? It's goldies not bettas so IDK. http://goldfish-emergency.com/forum/...thread_id=2374
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote